happy NG tube pics anyone?- update - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-24-2010, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. My son is going into the hospital tomorrow to have a biopsy to check for Hirschprung's. That actually exactly why I'm posting, though. (I'm trying not to stress about what if's.) What I am posting about is that he will need an NG tube to put medicine in his belly to clean him out first. I wanted to show him a picture of some happy toddler playing with a NG tube. I accidentally found a really good website yesterday, but didn't bookmark it. My google search is proving futile, and I've now wasted almost 2 hours trying to find a picture to show him. Anyone know of a good site?
#2 of 10 Old 05-24-2010, 02:49 PM

Cute gooberish NG picture.

playing

happy
#3 of 10 Old 05-24-2010, 02:54 PM

And DON'T show him this one, but this is a video of an NG insertion just to give you an idea of what placing one is like if you haven't seen one. Totally not fun, but over really really quickly.

NG insertion
#4 of 10 Old 05-24-2010, 03:04 PM

I have a DD that has a PH probe that involves a NG tube for 24 hours every year.

She was/is REALLY good about it and they taped it down really well, we just went about our day! Here are two pictures I could find, one she is just crawling and the other she is a preschooler.
#5 of 10 Old 05-24-2010, 03:11 PM

Sure, for a good cause, I'll take these away again though, please don't quote.

(..)

-pixie, my dear, and (A-88), N-98, Littlest-06/00-08/00, J-03 & Little Miss Cotton Ball Button-03 (SN), S-05, Hope-loss 09/09, Bean-loss 04/10, and littlePopcorn due feb. 8th -11.
#6 of 10 Old 05-24-2010, 03:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you guys so much!!!!!!!! That was really quick and perfect. If anyone wants to take down their pictures, they can do so- my son saw them. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!
#7 of 10 Old 06-01-2010, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the pictures. I *do* think they helped. (It was, of course, totally not fun.)
The good news is that he does not have Hirschprung's. So, we are lucky enough to have such a thing as a Bowel Management Clinic here, and my son will go there in order to learn to poo.
#8 of 10 Old 06-01-2010, 08:56 PM

My son doesn't have Hirshprungs, but he can't poop on his own from poor colon motility. We do/did a bowel management program. We used to do daily enemas, but he has an appendicostomy now (a tube into his appendix, we flush it with 1000 ml of saline with fiber added). So we still do bowel management, we just don't stick anything up his butt anymore, which is quite nice.

Bowel programs are hard to adjust to at first, but if you can manage to be totally consistent every single day, then it gets easier.

There's a constipation thread somewhere around here, it's pretty old though.
#9 of 10 Old 06-02-2010, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! That's interesting about the tube into your son's appendix- I'd never heard of such a thing. What a relief for you not to have to do daily enema's.

We don't have to do enema's daily, which I am super grateful for. I had been following that constipation thread for quite some time, but never posted to it. My son has had trouble since he was a tiny infant, an now he's almost 3. I think we've ruled out any structural problem with the myriad of tests they've done on him. We're just left with his food allergies, so I think I'll have to work on that a little more. He is dairy and soy free so far...
#10 of 10 Old 06-02-2010, 07:26 PM

figuring that out would definitely be the best way to go. If the cause is something you can fix that would be a very good thing. I wish you the best of luck figuring it all out and I send you tons of poop empathy. Sometimes it feels like life revolves around poo doesn't it? lol

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page