could this be SPD behavior?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 06-06-2010, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I could be way off here but I wanted to see what you mamas thought of my DS (3). He has some severe food allergies, gluten intolerance, asthma and environmental allergies. I've always attributed his challenging behavior to these allergies - that he was either exposed to something or perhaps his body was lacking something as far as nutrients. I have wondered lately though if maybe it's partly due to something else like SPD. He was a difficult baby who had a terrible time sleeping. He did this weird thing when trying to fall asleep - scratching his finger nails on bedsheets and whoever was putting him to sleep. DH and i always said it seemed sensory. He no longer does this but he is almost always wired right before bedtime and has a hard time settling down - limbs flailing, etc. He generally sleeps through the night fine now once he finally crashes but when he was younger he would have frequent night wakings and be up for 2+ hours. He also used to have a very difficult time transitioning from sleep to being awake (screamed for 15-20 minutes after naps). He seems to be sensitive to sunlight as he frequently has meltdowns if it is in his eyes. My biggest concern is his aggression with peers. Sometimes he initiates it - completely out of the blue he will whack a kid (unknown or a friend). Sometimes he reacts physically like if a peer takes
something from him or gets to close to him. A couple of teachers (at a
parent/child class we take) have mentioned to me that he seems to need
a lot of space. At the same time when he is excited he can't seem to leave his friends alone. For example we hosted a playdate yesterday with a good friend of his. He became very wild/ hyper and kept trying to lay on her, get really close to her - so close she couldn't play, he wasn't interested in playing w/ anything b/c he was so busy following her. I've noticed this type of behavior tends to happen more when we have playdates at home. He does better outdoors but it often seems like it is better b/c he is too busy searching for bugs (he's presently obsessed with them, lol ). Also, he just does not seem to be affected by any sort of consequence. He began hitting peers at 16 months so we have been dealing with it for almost 2 years. GD doesn't seem to work nor do time outs. His physical / motor skills are great,
language has always been good. There are days when he doesn't seem to have any issues - sweet, compliant, plays well, gentle with peers/sibling. I have always wondered (and gone back and forth on) whether his behavior was "normal" but challenging or if there was something else going on. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for reading and sorry this is so long!

Mama to DS (4/07) homebirth.jpgand DD (3/09) waterbirth.jpg     15****20****25****30****35****40 *whistling.gif**45

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page