Preschool Public Special Ed without EI to help with crossover - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-12-2010, 07:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK I hate my EI they are very weak. Down to the fact that group toys are missing parts. The climber is this HUGE climber that is for a park not for children under age 3. They don't even have enough supplies for lunch when we eat like silverware.

I asked for a transfer to another EI. They stated we know the school system best we will not do the crossover.
During home visits the lady makes my son cry and she is not very warm and loving. I asked for a new teacher and they said talk to her about your concerns and give it one more month. I have and it still is horrible. I am dread the whole visit all day.

DS has not issues with strangers. He is fine at PT and OT. He has even met many doctors or clinical staff and has been with them for sometimes only 30 min and never once cried.

I feel like I do more at home with him and my MIL is a saint and does a ton with him too while I am at work.
While at a speech eval the things she was doing is just like what we do at home and MIL. I asked her if this is what an EI session should be like and she said YES.

At this point I think I am going to drop EI. He is almost 2. I am going to do private PT OT and Speech. Then have him seen by the public school right before he turns 3.
I am a special education teacher (High School) I feel I can at least get him in he door.

Has anyone done this... go to SPED Preschool with out EI??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2010, 03:14 PM

My son will be going to Special Ed preschool in the fall, and he never did any EI. He went to normal preschool, for two years, then I asked for an assessment in March, and the team determined that a placement in Special Ed preschool would be the best fit for him. He is 5.5, so he will be older than most of the students in the classroom.

Good luck with your decision. I would hate a home visitor coming in and making my son cry.
Old 06-12-2010, 04:10 PM

Boy I WISH. Our EI/SLP home visitors were very nice, but somewhat ineffective and I resented the intrusion and how they multiplied their visiting time, and then even EXTENDED visits into beyond his 3rd birthday, I wanted to explode! I held on because I wanted the preschool, we start in 2 weeks, I'm expecting much better results.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsc View Post

Good luck with your decision. I would hate a home visitor coming in and making my son cry.

:

I've written extensively about my lack of love for our local EI, but they didn't make DD cry though. I just felt we weren't getting enough hours and services.

You don't have to go through EI if you can afford to get the necessary services privately. I know people who have opted not to go through EI, but rather through private OT and speech. You have more more control over the services and more input.

You don't need to be in EI to get SpED after the EI age cut off. If your child is eligible for SpEd services then he should get services regardless of whether he had EI services or not.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Where I am a lot of people seem to like EI more than the local school district, but my experience has been the opposite. I've liked the services from the school district much more than what we got from EI.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

thank you

I am lucky and have good insurance. Copays are low. Where I don't pay for day care cause my MIL cares for him I have a little money to play with each week.

I think you guys just helped me make my choice... EI goes and we will do Private Speech PT OT...
I am so glad I found this board.. thank you all...

User Tag List