homeschooling and IEPs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-24-2010, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son has been given a IEP for K this next year but I am hesitant about sending him to the local public school. i have applied to a local homeschooling charter school that is thru the state of California but I won't know until Aug if we got in. If we don't get in I wanted to homeschool him anyway but does that mean I forfeit my IEP? Do I haveto send him to a public school thru the state to make use of the IEP? Anyone have any ideas? This is our first year with a IEP. Any help would be appreciated. i will alos put this in the homeschooling forum. Thanks

SAHM slinggirl.gif married to my loveblowkiss.gif we have 2 boys superhero.gifJames(5/24/05)  bouncy.gifJustin(4/5/08) and our little princessdust.gifRowan Jane 12/17/10  expecting #4 belly.gifJesse Rhys stork-boy.gif due Sept 4 2013  homeschool.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2010, 12:57 AM

I am not sure how it works with homeschooling but my son is going in to prek3 and if they told us that if we decide to not send him and to either send him to another private program or to keep him at home then they would still provide his services(speech)-either I bring him to the school or they would come to him. Not sure if it works the same for older kids but I don't see why it wouldn't. Regarding everything written into the IEP--that would mainly be on you or whoever is teaching him.

Cassie, mom to Alex(4/7/05), Aidan(7/12/07), and Andrew(8/18/08)

Old 06-24-2010, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
It is my understanding that some of the thing on his IEP, such as speech therapy, he will still get, but that other accomodations listed that are specific to being in a classroom he obviosly won't.

There are a lot of things to consider when deciding to homeschool a child with special needs.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

Old 06-24-2010, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

He has SPD and APD so i feel like the school environment is going to be too much for him and definately too distracting. He also struggles socially with other kids and I am afraid things will go on that people don't see or address. There are supposed to be 24 kids in his class and becasue of budget cuts there will be no aide only parent help. I just can't send him for 5 hrs to a place he isn't being supported in. It feels like I am throwing him to the wolves. i worry about his self esteem and his ability to learn anything will all the challenges he faces. I think home will be a better place and we can join other homeschoolers for social stuff.

SAHM slinggirl.gif married to my loveblowkiss.gif we have 2 boys superhero.gifJames(5/24/05)  bouncy.gifJustin(4/5/08) and our little princessdust.gifRowan Jane 12/17/10  expecting #4 belly.gifJesse Rhys stork-boy.gif due Sept 4 2013  homeschool.gif

Old 06-24-2010, 03:50 PM

Whats APD?

Most charter schools don't provide any special services, not even a counselor or social worker much less a special education teacher. IMHO, they are seldom the right placement for special needs students.

What is in his IEP that you don't want to lose? Most of what my DD gets through her accomodations at school wouldn't have been relevant when we were homeschooling.

My DD has Aspergers (including SPD, anxiety, social issues, etc) and homeschooled until she was 12. She currently attends public school. If you have any questions, just ask.

<<He also struggles socially with other kids and I am afraid things will go on that people don't see or address. >>

The flip side is that he can have issues that don't show up at home and therefore get missed. It's easier for kids to seem more *normal* at home because they aren't seen next to peers every day, which might seem good short term, but also means that core issues can be ignored for years.

It is also more experience that other homeschoolers weren't interested in helping my DD socially, but the staff at her school is.

A bunch of other 5 year olds and a nice teacher aren't wolves.

Old 06-24-2010, 05:07 PM

We have done homeschool with an IEP. As someone mentioned, services such as ST, PT, and OT apply, and obviously the classroom stuff doesn't apply (if he does end up in the alternative school, and folks there are willing to coordinate, they can do things like attend IEP meetings just to make sure info is exchanged between school staff and therapy staff).

We have had some trouble with the school reducing services (for example, offering two PT slots per week if he is in school, and then saying that he gets only one if not in school) based on the non-enrollment factor. They have some term they used in insisting that it was legal, but I am spacing out the term at the moment. Because I have been thinking of putting ds in private services for a while due to quality issues, I have chosen not to fight it, so I haven't gone into depth researching the legality.

I'm pro-adoption reform, but not anti-adoption.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
Whats APD?

Auditory Processing Disorder which means he doesn't always understand what others are saying and often doesn't make alot of sense himself hence the social issues.

Most charter schools don't provide any special services, not even a counselor or social worker much less a special education teacher. IMHO, they are seldom the right placement for special needs students.

His IEP gives him OT ans ST. He is no been placed with a special education teacher or social worker.

What is in his IEP that you don't want to lose? Most of what my DD gets through her accomodations at school wouldn't have been relevant when we were homeschooling.

I really don't want to lost the 1hr a week of OT and he also gets 25min a week of ST since we have been paying out of pocket and it is expensive. They also offered a sensory diet and priority seating which of course wouldn't matter if we are home.

My DD has Aspergers (including SPD, anxiety, social issues, etc) and homeschooled until she was 12. She currently attends public school. If you have any questions, just ask.

My DS also has anxiety but mainly related to the social issues and will withdraw from large social situations.

<<He also struggles socially with other kids and I am afraid things will go on that people don't see or address. >>

The flip side is that he can have issues that don't show up at home and therefore get missed. It's easier for kids to seem more *normal* at home because they aren't seen next to peers every day, which might seem good short term, but also means that core issues can be ignored for years.

It is also more experience that other homeschoolers weren't interested in helping my DD socially, but the staff at her school is.

A bunch of other 5 year olds and a nice teacher aren't wolves.
with the way he struggles socially and his inability to communicate his needs and want or even stick up for himself I feel like I am setting him up for anxiety and low self esteem. I am sure the teacher is nice and wants the best for all the kids but with 24 students to attend to I can't possibly see how she will be able to attend to each childs different personality, struggles and needs.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:41 PM

<<His IEP gives him OT ans ST. He is no been placed with a special education teacher or social worker.>>

Does the charter school even have OT or ST?

Even without placement with a special ed teacher or a social worker, kids at schools with those resources benefit from them. My DD was allowed to go talk to the social worker at any time, and the special ed teacher sat in all meetings with her regular teacher to help brain storm things that would work for her.

At a school without those resouces, including every pretty much all charter schools, kids are expected to be "normal". There's no way to sit in the meeting and explain to the teacher how the child thinks.

<<I really don't want to lost the 1hr a week of OT and he also gets 25min a week of ST since we have been paying out of pocket and it is expensive. >>

You can keep those and homeschool

<< They also offered a sensory diet and priority seating which of course wouldn't matter if we are home.>>

A sensory diet still matters.

Old 06-24-2010, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
<<His IEP gives him OT ans ST. He is no been placed with a special education teacher or social worker.>>

The charter school is thru the state and aslked in the application about the IEP and wanted a copy of it. IO have been told they do honor IEPs.

Even without placement with a special ed teacher or a social worker, kids at schools with those resources benefit from them. My DD was allowed to go talk to the social worker at any time, and the special ed teacher sat in all meetings with her regular teacher to help brain storm things that would work for her.

At a school without those resouces, including every pretty much all charter schools, kids are expected to be "normal". There's no way to sit in the meeting and explain to the teacher how the child thinks.

This is a homeschooling scharter school and academically he is ahead ofmost kids going into K.

<<I really don't want to lost the 1hr a week of OT and he also gets 25min a week of ST since we have been paying out of pocket and it is expensive. >>

You can keep those and homeschool

That is what I am trying to find out.

<< They also offered a sensory diet and priority seating which of course wouldn't matter if we are home.>>

A sensory diet still matters.
We already have a sensory diet in place at home that is why i was saying it is invalid on the IEP if he doesn't attend school. I have been dealing with the sensory stuff since his birth.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:34 AM

Quote:

Either way, it shouldn't be a problem as long as you can transport him for "auxillary" services at your neighborhood school. IEPs also serve kids in private schools in terms of getting those services. Again, obviously the classroom adaptations are out.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

thank you sierra that is what I was looking for. The school he was supposed to attend and get services at is walking distance from our house so I guess i will wait to see if i get into the charter and contact them then.

Old 06-25-2010, 02:25 AM

Is the charter sponsored by the school district? If it is, I *think* you should still be able to get services such as ST and OT because it is technically a public school. You can also ask for specific homeschooling related goals to be written into his IEP if you are worried about your advisory teacher not *getting* it.

Hope it works out for you!

Laura, mama to J (15), N (12), E (9) , M (6), and our little caboose, R (3).
Old 06-25-2010, 10:28 AM

I pulled my son out of school at the end of October to homeschool him. By law, the school has to still offer whatever therapies is listed on his IEP (Speech, Physical, Occupational).

I do highly suggest getting an educational Advocate.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

Old 06-25-2010, 12:08 PM

My son shares your son's diagnoses. I can't wait for him to start kindergarten! Have you toured the school, met the teacher and aids? Even though his APD is not "official" yet, we demanded (and received) a sound field system in the classroom. Something you will not get at home and no matter what you do... you will always have ambient noise in your house which can hinder your son's ability to learn.

I understand the fear of allowing your child to go off to school. However, your son and his school may surprise you. You may find that he blossoms socially and educationally in a public school setting.

At the very least, even if you get into the charter, I'd go tour the classroom (with your son) when school begins and see how he likes it.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
Old 06-25-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
By law, the school has to still offer whatever therapies is listed on his IEP (Speech, Physical, Occupational).
yes by law the PUBLIC SCHOOL within walking distance, not the CHARTER SCHOOL she's trying to get into.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieMF View Post
yes by law the PUBLIC SCHOOL within walking distance, not the CHARTER SCHOOL she's trying to get into.
I wonder if you transfer to a charter, would the charter then be responsible? If so, and they don't have the resources to offer you, what happens then? You've transferred so the local school is no longer responsible for fulfilling his IEP.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
Old 06-26-2010, 01:48 AM

This varies by state. Some states require more than others for homeschool students. Your school system should be able and willing to answer those questions for you. They'll know the law in your state. Our school system was very accurate for me and answered all my questions. They were helpful. In our state they have to provide some services but not the same amount or type they would provide if my child was enrolled. So he would get less hours, etc. than he would have. Home is still the better place for his needs. Every child is different in that respect.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

Old 06-26-2010, 12:31 PM

I teach special Ed and we always have a few home schooled kids on our case load. Some just get OT or PT or Speech, but I've had some come in for reading or writing as well.

The services are available, so harass your school disctict until he gets what he needs.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just wanted to chime in that charter schools ARE public schools (I've worked at one in PA for 7 years) and my DD will be attending one in NJ next year. They, BY LAW have to either implement an IEP, rewrite an IEP that is appropriate for the child and which they can implement, or find an alternative placement (sometimes back in district sometimes in an approved private school) that can provide the services. They may not have an OT/PT/speech pathologist on staff, but they will either have to contract out with some place to provide these services or make other arrangements.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:09 AM

I've been doing some checking into this, as we are considering using a Charter school for my kids, and my oldest would need an IEP. In California- the law requires the school district to provide Special Education, even to homeschool kids. You can look up your school Superintendant's office online and get some info about special ed.
I am going to assume that you are using a Public School Charter- where your child would be Homeschooled by you- and paid for by the public education department. We would get between 1300 and 1800 per student per year for curriculum needs. All the Public Charters with Home Study offer Special Education and would help impliment your IEP for your kiddo. HTH's!

ETA: I disagree with chiefmir- not all charter schools are public school affiliated. They are also called umbrella school's- or private charter school's here in cali.

Married to Michael and Mother of Jake 9, Jillianne 7, Jensen 5, Jacen 4. I've got severe osteoporosis, a fractured hip and chronic pain-so please be patient with me! Pagan,Crocheter,Reader,Homeschooler- that's me in a nutshell.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefmir View Post
I just wanted to chime in that charter schools ARE public schools (I've worked at one in PA for 7 years) and my DD will be attending one in NJ next year. They, BY LAW have to either implement an IEP, rewrite an IEP that is appropriate for the child and which they can implement, or find an alternative placement (sometimes back in district sometimes in an approved private school) that can provide the services.
Right, they don't have to have the child in school there at all, so if you push for an IEP, the school can comply by "finding an alternative placement," which can just be the child's local school.

I'm sure how this works out varies from state to state, but here, charter schools are a worse case scenario for a child with special needs.

Old 06-27-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Right, they don't have to have the child in school there at all, so if you push for an IEP, the school can comply by "finding an alternative placement," which can just be the child's local school.
They'd have to first prove that the child's needs can't be met in the chosen placement.

Old 06-27-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra View Post
They'd have to first prove that the child's needs can't be met in the chosen placement.
A parent pretty much proves that when they ask for an IEP.

I'm sure this plays out differently in different places, but here charters don't need to do anything for sn kids. If you want your child there, you are agree to have them treated just like every body else, and if you don't like it, then you need to put your child someplace else.

It's totally legal, and part of the reason why charters get "better results" for the same money. They don't just bother with sn kids, who are more expensive to educate.

User Tag List