magnesium, B6, and adhd? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-24-2010, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is double posted in Health and Healing, but I haven't had any responses there, so I thought I'd post here also.

Ds is 5-1/2. He doesn't have a dx of adhd, but I'm sure he could if I sought one (although I wonder about compounding/other factors like mild SLP, also/instead). I've read a little about magnesium and B6 supplementation. I've started him on the Mg supplements at about 300mg/day. I need to get to Whole Foods and look for a B6 supplement.

I much prefer trying this approach to medication and I have seen some improvement with Mg alone. I do have some questions:

1. Ds eats a very good diet - rich in broccoli, nuts, beans, some soy, a variety of fresh fruits and veggies, etc. I have always been very particular about his diet and very grateful that he makes healthy choices overall. Given his diet - how could he be deficient in magnesium? Is it just that some people don't absorb it like others?

2. The guidelines I've seen for supplementation are about 100mg Mg per day, but I've read here that 300mg is fine. He seems to respond better with the higher amount, but I don't want to overdo it.

3. What would an appropriate amount of B6 be? I've seen .8mg per kg (15mg for him), but this is by the same articles that would give him 100mg Mg. Is this low or about right by other research that I haven't seen?

4. What would be potential negative side effects I should look for with too high of dosages? I think stomach upset/diarrhea was primary for Mg and I haven't seen any of that yet.

TIA!
#2 of 3 Old 06-30-2010, 02:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Check the vitamins & minerals and find out which one can be obtained from foods and the ones the body produces itself...and which are needed through supplementation. Like I know that L-Lysine is not produced by the body, it has to be supplemented. It is non-toxic and it is an amino-acid; plus every BODY [human plus animal] needs it.

It's all involved in research and investigation before using too much of anything on a little kid.

Magnesium is a relaxent, good to use before bed, there is a product on the market called "Calm" that is powdered magnesium, use just add to water and drink. My mom used it for my DS when he was younger [he's 4 1/2 now]. Now we use Magnesium phos which is a homeopathic cell salt. Really easy for children to take.
#3 of 3 Old 06-30-2010, 09:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'll come back and post more later.

I know I mention this book like a million times on this forum, but Dr. Kenneth Bock's book "Healing The New Childhood Epidemics - autism, ADHD, allergies and asthma" is a great resource. He lists the vitamins, minerals, and supplements that are useful for each condition as well as dietary changes that could help.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page