Specific Carbohydrate Diet and Autism--anyone here with experience? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-29-2010, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all,
I have a dear friend who's 3.5 yr old child has autism. He is already gfcf. She would like to start the SCD this weekend (she has already read the book). But she feels overwhelmed and confused on some points and information. She doesn't have any real-life support on this or know anyone who has done SCD to be able to ask questions.

I told her about the lovely kind wise mamas here and told her I would ask around to see if I could get some support for her, someone who could maybe answer her questions.

So, anyone here with experience?

Amy ~ SAHM to DS (9) DD (5) and DS (2) And  expecting a  stork-girl.gif  late May 2012!

homebirth.jpg  cd.gif  slingboy.gif  familybed1.gif  winner.jpg  novaxnocirc.gif  goorganic.jpg

#2 of 5 Old 06-29-2010, 12:44 PM

We're doing it, also after having done GFCF (she did well on GFCF initially, then started regressing rapidly). I really like the diet, and it's not much extra work once you get the hang of it.

The only problem I have is that I really can't ever take my eyes off of her when we're around other kids who have food, and I think it would be really hard for her to not get 'illegals' if she was in pre-school/daycare/etc. It makes going to dinner at other people's houses that don't understand nearly impossible (because at home we generally just eat what she can have- she understandably doesn't do well if people are eating, say, french fries or ice cream when she has something different).

If she wants to email me feel free- healthhomehappy at gmail dot com

DD 9/06, DS 11/08
#3 of 5 Old 06-29-2010, 03:15 PM

I posted some cautions about SCD on the health and healing post you made particularly for any kids who have low muscle tone issues as well.

Rachelle, mommy to 8 year old boys! 

My Blog-free homeschooling finds and my lesson plans and link to the new User Agreement

#4 of 5 Old 06-30-2010, 08:13 PM

Tell your friend she can get some great support on Yahoo!groups, particularly pecanbread group. DH and I are in the process of starting it, but we're waiting to start DS until early September when we can meet with a doctor who specializes in SCD diet. I've found the pecanbread group and website a huge help as we start the SCD diet.

Wife to Chris 12/27/07. DS1 Earth Day 2009 (4/22). DS2 March 6th, 2012. nocirc.gif saynovax.gif winner.jpg femalesling.GIFfamilybed2.gif  vbac.gif

#5 of 5 Old 07-05-2010, 09:09 PM

i think SCD can be a really effective diet particularly for kids who deal with bacterial issues. BUT - it should be done with caution and under the advise of a knowledgeable nutritionist. it is not as straight forward as it seems and it is easy to mess up and cause your child to be in worse health. advise your friend to find a good nutritionist who is expert in SCD - it can be done by phone if there is not one in her area.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page