Speech evaluation and signing resource recommendations? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-08-2010, 11:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 21 month old son had a speech evaluation today. I felt like he wasn't saying as much as the other little guys at the playground, but my "mommy spidey senses" were telling me the "other stuff" was ok (he is happy, social, engaged, he finds other ways to communicate when he wants to, he plays, smiles, laughs, has great facial expressions and a super sense of humor, has great eye contact, his receptive language is excellent, he points, his hearing is fine, his other milestones were right on target, cognition seems fine, motor skills are great, etc.) and all that was confirmed. The speech pathologist's words were "I have no larger concerns at all. Actually, I think he's very bright and clearly strong willed!" and she laughed (she didn't seem to feel it was a negative thing, more like that he has a big personality- which he SURE does!).

Anyway, it was a really "satisfying" eval as she basically confirmed exactly what I thought- that he's totally fine except just not saying a lot yet and it is probably just because things haven't really "clicked" just yet in getting the words to happen from his side.

She recommended using sign language and to recognize his other "language" (ds will "make up words" for things he wants to say but can't yet, like he will pant when he is thirsty or blow when things are hot or demand you hold his hand and he will lead you to what he wants and point) and then be sure to simplify our words to him and make sure he can see our mouths. She thinks if we kind of "kick start it" with sign language, the verbal will come (and if not in a few months, we'll do regular speech therapy).

So, anyone BTDT? Anyone have any good recs for baby sign books/cards? I was thinking the "flash cards" so that I could tape them around the kitchen as we will all be trying to use them with ds2. Of course, I could probably photo copy some from a book too... Anyway, tips? Ideas? Suggestions?
#2 of 7 Old 07-08-2010, 11:37 PM

signing times is a video series that is GREAT for young childen and you to learn. (they are a bit pricey to buy but you can probably check them out at a library) signingtimes.com I think is the website. Other than that there are SOOO many resources and books out there. There is a website where you can look up any word and they show you how to sign it. (this has saved my life, my daughter is profoundly deaf and we are just learning to sign ourselves.) http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi (there is other as well if you search for them on google)
You can buy flashcards at places like barnes and nobles or online at amazon as well as books and they are also very helpful! Good luck!

Wife to Robert 8-9-08heartbeat.gif Mommy to Lani 4-24-09 babygirl.gif and Cambria 3-25-11 babygirl.gif and one on the way! 6-26-13 stork-suprise.gif

#3 of 7 Old 07-09-2010, 07:34 AM

I'll second signing times and aslpro website.

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#4 of 7 Old 07-09-2010, 09:48 AM

Just throwing in a third vote for the resources mentioned.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#5 of 7 Old 07-09-2010, 09:59 AM

Yet another vote for the Signing Times DVDs!!!! Not only are the DVDs awesome but the mom who created them - Rachel Coleman - is totally awesome too and a real inspiration!

I have a set of flash cards that we are no longer using, if you pm me your address I can mail them to you.

Martha
#6 of 7 Old 07-09-2010, 12:18 PM

yep - signing times are the best! they are ASL as opposed to some others that use some modified signs. also, check your library - our library carries all the signing times dvds.
#7 of 7 Old 07-09-2010, 02:23 PM

Another vote for signing times, they are great!

Cassie, mom to Alex(4/7/05), Aidan(7/12/07), and Andrew(8/18/08)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page