Any correlation between ADHD and toe walking? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 07-14-2010, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I notice Conner is toe walking in certain situations. Like when he brushes his teeth or when he is pacing he walks on the front of his feet.

I always associated toe walking with Autism. Is there any correlation between ADHD?

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#2 of 12 Old 07-14-2010, 04:00 PM

I know kids that toe walk that have nothing "wrong" with them at all.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#3 of 12 Old 07-14-2010, 04:08 PM

My toe walker has ADHD - but he's also got Aspergers.

I've never heard of any sort of link, and like a pp said, plenty of kids are toe walkers with no issues at all.

Candacepeace.gif, Married to dh   guitar.gif, Mom to ds (8) biggrinbounce.gif , Gavin candle.gif (9/30/10 - 12/19/10) and cautiously expecting our rainbow1284.gif 4-29-12

#4 of 12 Old 07-14-2010, 04:29 PM

My son's OT told me this:

Most children stop walking on the balls of their feet or on their toes by age 3. Children who continue after that age ususally do it our of habit. But in some children, this type of walking can be indicator of a nuerological or muscle dysfunction such as: sensory processing disorder, auditory processing disorder, autism spectrum disorders, issues with the Achilles tendon, muscle spasticity, among others. Also, toe walking doesn't have to be constant to indicate a problem.

DS toe walks at times and has ASD.

Lolly
Mom to an amazing little guy, age 9 (Autism, Hyperlexia, Dyspraxia, Albinism, Chromosome Microdeletion)

#5 of 12 Old 07-14-2010, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottedFoxx View Post
I know kids that toe walk that have nothing "wrong" with them at all.
That is true. However, my son was diagnosed as ADHD. This is something that I have been wondering about since it is something he does. The Psychologist said no.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#6 of 12 Old 07-14-2010, 06:06 PM

My son with ADHD was a toe walker but outgrew it. I have ADHD myself and don't recall toe walking. It has always been my understanding that toe walking can be a sensory thing, I assume that is why my son did it.

Martha
#7 of 12 Old 07-14-2010, 08:28 PM

I have a toe walker (4.75) and she has a PDD_NOS dx (mild). She in no way has ADHD or ADD....if anything she is hypo-active and fatigues quickly.

She mostly toe walks (less than 30% of the time) when stressed or as a sensory feedback.
#8 of 12 Old 07-14-2010, 09:11 PM

I was often a toe-walker as a kid, but only when barefoot. I think it was a sensory thing. Sometimes I didn't like the feel of the ground, other times I just liked the sensation of stretching my ankles as far as they would go. Sometimes I was pretending to be a ballerina. Sometimes I was pretending to be prancing like a gazelle

Mommy to BigBoy Ian (3-17-05) ; LittleBoy Connor (3-3-07) (DiGeorge/VCFS):; BabyBoy Gavin (10-3-09) x3 AngelBaby (1-7-06)
#9 of 12 Old 07-14-2010, 09:53 PM

I was going to say it could be sensory related.

Independent Consultant- Thirty One Gifts www.mythirtyone.com/ShopLiz

Origami Owl http://lizcioci.origamiowl.com

#10 of 12 Old 07-30-2010, 12:15 PM

Dr Robin Pauc holds that dyspraxia, dyslexia, what he terms "mild autism," OCD, Tourette's Syndrome of childhood, and ADHD are all symptoms of the same underlying condition since (he says) that one set of symptoms never exists in isolation. I would say therefore that there is possibly a link, even though this symptom is not one traditionally associated with ADHD.
#11 of 12 Old 07-31-2010, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the link. I will check it out.

I finally got my husband watching my son toe walk.

#12 of 12 Old 07-31-2010, 07:47 PM

I've heard that SPD can often me mis-diagnosed for ADHD if the kid's a sensory seeker. Could you have the wrong diagnosis?

My ds has SPD and toe walks some.

Stephenie, Wife to Nick partners.gif 9/3/05 Mama to Keagan treehugger.gif autismribbon.gif 4/12/07, Eden dust.gifhomebirth.jpg3/29/09  3rdtri.gif Someone new coming in July and two angels 6/06 and 10/10. Check out my blog! blogging.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page