orthopedic appointment for 17 month old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-22-2010, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I posted a couple of months ago about my daughter getting AFOs. She got these at the recommendation of her PT and never saw an orthopedic doctor. Last week while the PT was at our house, dd was walking a lot with her push toy while wearing her AFOs. The PT noticed that her right foot is still turning out and that her whole lower body seemed to be facing right a bit. Now she's thinking that it might be something with her hip(s). Her developmental therapist saw her earlier this week and agreed, recommending that I take her to an orthopedic doctor. So, I've made an appointment to see an orthopedic doctor on Monday and I wish I would have done that in the first place before getting the AFOs. Nothing I can do about that now, though. I have no idea what to expect. I know at least one, if not two of her therapists have mentioned to me that PTs and orthopedic doctors don't always see eye to eye. I'm just hoping to get some answers and start the right kind of therapy/use the right kind of orthopedic whatever to help my daughter start walking.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2010, 06:02 PM

Best of luck with the appt.! I guess it just depends what the Dr. says, but my son sees and ortho. and gets PT and we've never had any issues between the two Hope it all goes smoothly for you.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Well, apparently she is orthopedically all good. The doctor says that her hips look good and she doesn't need the AFOs. The PT comes tomorrow and I'll see what she has to say about that.

Marie-Mom to two boys and a girl.
Old 07-26-2010, 03:30 PM

What do you think? Do the AFO's help/hinder? Do you think your daughters PT may have more insight on your daughter as opposed to the ortho because she works with her often?

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

Old 07-26-2010, 03:42 PM

Did he see her walk with and without the AFO's? Did he x-ray her hips and legs?

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

User Tag List