Asperger Syndrome - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-04-2010, 07:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm new to this board, came across it via google...Actually found a thread from several years back that made me join (a thread about Explosive/ Chronically inflexible Children).

I have a 4, almost 5 year old son Jacob. We've known he was quirky from just over a year old, but didn't really bring it up with the doctor until his 3 year check up. At that time we got a referral to a developmental pediatrician had that evaluation. My son was not diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome by that doctor but with Developmental Coordination Disorder (Dyspraxia), and Sensory Processing Disorder. The doctor also noted that he has symptoms of OCD, Anxiety, and ADHD. Well to make a long story short we are not convinced that this was an accurate assessment and we are going to be getting a second opinion sometime - just spoke with his pediatrician a few days ago, so we have a long wait.

Anyway, I was just wanting to see how many people on here have children with Asperger's Syndrome or other forms of Autism.

Also, any pointers on dealing with the need for certain things to be certain ways? We have had a box sitting in a certain position in the (large) doorway between my kitchen and dining room for MONTHS - my son freaks if it is moved, even SLIGHTLY and IMMEDIATELY puts it to the "right" position. It is really starting to drive my husband and I crazy. Also, my son LOVES cars and they are lined up here and there throughout the house (BTW - it HURTS to step on those cars, lol)...Yes, he freaks if those get moved too. There are so many things that happen and we just CRINGE because we KNOW what Jacob's reaction will be.

I could go on and on, but I won't at the moment...Just looking to connect with others in this same situation!

DS (6) is diagnosed with Asperger's, Hypotonia, and Static Encephalopothy 

#2 of 8 Old 08-04-2010, 08:03 PM

Welcome to MDC!

I sent a note to a mod asking to move this thread over to special needs parenting, where you'll find the most amazing collection of parents, full to the brim with information.

Direct link to that board: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...play.php?f=157

It sounds like you're on the right track to getting the help you and your son need. The road is long and bumpy, and the ladies on the special needs can certainly help.

My DD deals with SPD, and getting help has been one of frustration because her problems aren't severe enough. I've learned a lot from MDC, my DD's school, and other parents in my community.
#3 of 8 Old 08-04-2010, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Welcome to MDC!

You may get more feedback for this question in the Special Needs forum.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
#4 of 8 Old 08-04-2010, 10:37 PM

just want to say "welcome!" this forum is a great crew, and lots of us have kids who are all over the spectrum. i have a daughter (almost 4), and she was diagnosed last year. i was lucky to get a good, thorough eval, and a group of docs who really listened to me. it certainly is a bumpy ride, and this forum has been a lifesaver to me so many times. you really can say *anything* you need to here - and 99 times out of 100, someone here is experiencing the same thing... i can't give you any advice about how to move your son's things - my dd is the same way!!
anyway, glad you're here . ask away!
#5 of 8 Old 08-05-2010, 01:34 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallenangel811 View Post
I have a 4, almost 5 year old son Jacob. .... My son was not diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome by that doctor but with Developmental Coordination Disorder (Dyspraxia), and Sensory Processing Disorder. The doctor also noted that he has symptoms of OCD, Anxiety, and ADHD. Well to make a long story short we are not convinced that this was an accurate assessment and we are going to be getting a second opinion sometime - just spoke with his pediatrician a few days ago, so we have a long wait.
My DD has a dx of Asperger's. It is not a dx generally given to children until they are older. What do you think is to be gained by getting more labels now? How do you see those labels helping your son?

Unless there is something very solid to be gained, I'd wait until he is 6 or 7 for another eval. You have plenty of labels to go on now that should qualify him for a variety of interventions. There really isn't anything magical about the label "aspergers."

What are you doing for the sensory issues? Do you have book "The Out of Sync Child"? Is your son currently in any therapies, preschool, etc.?

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#6 of 8 Old 08-05-2010, 09:45 AM

Welcome!

My son is 6 and has high functioning autism with hyperlexia and dyspraxia. He also has albinism and asthma, so he faces a lot of challenges.

My son also needs thigs to be a certain way. We work a lot on building routines and then teaching flexibility within those routines. It can be really hard, because we know how DS will react to certain changes. We have lines of cars in our house too, but we also have a routine (written and picture) for putting the cars away at the end of the day. My son is a very visual learner, so we use visual supports for everything: picture/written schedules, checklists, cue cards. These supports help him function, give him assurance when things change, and make all our lives easier.

Lolly
Mom to an amazing little guy, age 9 (Autism, Hyperlexia, Dyspraxia, Albinism, Chromosome Microdeletion)

#7 of 8 Old 08-05-2010, 01:03 PM

Welcome to MDC!

Here in the SpecialNeeds Parenting forum you will find a LOT of parents with children with either Autism or Asperger's and even some parents themselves with these. My child has Autism, I have Asperger's. Generally Asperger's isn't diagnosed until school age, around 6 years. So this would be why that may not have been looked at. It sounds like you have a great start though.

The sticky thread at the top of this forum has a gazzillion resource links that might be helpful for you too. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask here too!

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#8 of 8 Old 08-05-2010, 08:32 PM

My daughter is 8. She has always been very particular of things in her world. Lined up, color coordinated, everyting in its place. She has social delays, and was very delayed on speech and had 3 years of speech therapy.
When she was about 4, we took her to a psychiatrist. She was out of control, angry outburst, not communicating unless she was screaming and attacking us. After being seen quite a few times, he told me that she more than liekly had aspergers, and possibly OCD and Bi-polar disorder. I decided to do nothing at that point, and to let it be. I read a lot, changed out diets, and just helped her as much as i could.
She has always had insomnia. She cries for hours each night because she cant sleep. We decided to take her for a sleep study to rule out any medical reasons. All was normal. The sleep doc referred us to a psychologist. He has seen her many times, and on monday Diagnosed her with Aspergers, and OCD. She has obsessive thoughts that throw her into full blown panic attacks. She is compulsive with cleaning and organizing. I had to move her to her own room, because the messes her sisters made were too much for her to deal with.

One of the best books i read was Kids in the Syndrome mix. I got it at my local library. I also read, many times, raising your spirited child. I read it for the first time when she was 1, and many times since then. It is certainly not a cure for anyone with ASD, but i found a lot of the information helpful.

Good luck in the future with him. My daughter amazes me every day with how much she does, and the great person she is. I refuse to let her disorders define her.

Melissa- homeschooling mom to Samantha ( 9) Gabby ( 8) Emma (6) and Diesel (12 months) and Rachel Rebecca Brock Erik Joe Noah 6-25-10 5 early miscarriages

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page