Did you have amalgam fillings replaced while preggo orbfing your ASD/SPD kiddo? - Mothering Forums
Special Needs Parenting > Did you have amalgam fillings replaced while preggo orbfing your ASD/SPD kiddo?
slsurface's Avatar slsurface 05:42 PM 08-16-2010
I'm wondering about the possible link between amalgam filling removal in mothers and spectrum disorders in their kiddos. I had a filling replaced one week after DS1 was born and he has SPD. I have another filling that is broken and needs replacing. I put if off while preggo with DS2 but now the dentist is insisting that it needs to be removed. DS2 is only 6 weeks old. My appointment is tomorrow and I'm terrified! Please help!

Linda on the move's Avatar Linda on the move 07:42 PM 08-16-2010
no, I didn't -- nothing dental at all.
LynnS6's Avatar LynnS6 03:55 AM 08-17-2010
Yes for my SPD kid, yes for my NT kid.

If your tooth gets infected, then what?
Peony's Avatar Peony 11:50 AM 08-17-2010
Nope.
GoBecGo's Avatar GoBecGo 11:57 AM 08-17-2010
I had an amalgam filling drilled out and replaced with more amalgam at 16 weeks PG with DD1 and she is not on the spectrum despite a very very strong family history.
elmh23's Avatar elmh23 12:41 PM 08-17-2010
My kid doesn't have a diagnosis but would probably qualify for a SPD. The only dental work I had with him was a cleaning at around 2 months pregnant. I have no amalgam fillings.
VocalMinority's Avatar VocalMinority 04:54 PM 08-17-2010
I had no dental work of any kind, during my pregnancy with my older twins. They are both on the spectrum, with sensory processing issues. I did have a filling replaced while pregnant with my 2-1/2-year-old. Like you, I worried about having it done, but my dentist insisted. My toddler has no developmental issues or challenges, whatsoever.
slsurface's Avatar slsurface 11:25 PM 08-18-2010
Bumping to hear what more of you have to say...
sncmom's Avatar sncmom 11:33 PM 08-18-2010
I had an amalgam filling break which had to be replaced (with non-amalgam) during my pregnancy with DD1. She is a bit of a drama queen (double pisces), but neurotypical. Dentist used a dental dam while drilling out the old filling so I wouldn't swallow any of the pieces.
buttercup's Avatar buttercup 11:49 PM 08-18-2010
No, I did not have any dental work while pregnant with any of my 3 ASD kids.
Kristine233's Avatar Kristine233 07:35 PM 08-20-2010
Nope, not with any of my kids (2 NT and 1 ASD).
QueenOfTheMeadow's Avatar QueenOfTheMeadow 10:59 PM 08-20-2010
No dental work with all three of my kids during pregnancy. My oldest is on the spectrum.
Jennifer Z's Avatar Jennifer Z 11:56 PM 08-20-2010
No dental work at all in either pregnancies. First child has Autism, second a Phonological Speech Delay but not on the spectrum at all (unless she ends up with an ADHD dx, but it could just be typical 4yo insanity too. )
Carita's Avatar Carita 12:02 AM 08-21-2010
((hugs)) I just got 2 of mine replaced today. my daughter is 4 mo. If its exposed and warranting a fix, then i would think daily exposure would be just as bad if not worse than just replacing them. w/DS (ADHD) I did have cleanings and had those 2 existing fillings.
sjgoldsberry's Avatar sjgoldsberry 08:59 PM 04-19-2011

I actually didn't remember having any work done while I was pregnant, but when she was around 18 months and not caught up by a long shot (she was born 2 months premature due to pre-eclampsia), I asked my dental office if I'd had work done.  It turns out that I'd had a very large amalgam filling removed and another put in about a month before my daughter was born.  She's been autistic since birth (ie not a regressor).  There's no other autism in my family.

beachcomber's Avatar beachcomber 09:14 PM 04-19-2011

Autism is not caused by environment or toxins. In fact, a recent study has pointed to a genetic origin as 1% of boys on the spectrum can be found to have a chromosomal defect.

Certainly mercury isn't good for you and those fillings should be replaced over time. But they are not going to "give" your child autism.

KCMichigan's Avatar KCMichigan 07:51 AM 04-20-2011

I have twins- one PDD_NOS/SPD mild and and one not.

I had never had a cavity or more than a cleaning done until AFTER they were born and I was not able to BF.

sjgoldsberry's Avatar sjgoldsberry 12:29 PM 04-20-2011

While there is almost definitely a genetic component which can make one susceptible to developing autism, most experts agree that there's most likely an environmental insult that triggers it.  A purely genetic cause would not explain the epidemic that we're currently experiencing.  And both the gene affected and the environmental insult can be different for different children, which is why it's so difficult finding causes for it.

Up