Elevated AFP levels/Ataxia Telangiectasia - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-20-2010, 12:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's been a long couple of years for us that I'm sure many of your can relate to, filled with test after test for our 2.5 year old DD who has hypotonia, ataxia, and neurodevelopmental delay.

One of our most recent series of tests performed by our Genetecist has revolved around Ataxia Telangiectasia.

Today we were told that our daughter's "Alpha-1-Feto protein came back mildly elevated (this was a repeat test as it was previously found to be elevated) at 10 ug/L"

We are waiting for the results of the genetic testing to see if this is due to A-T, which can take weeks to months.

Just a couple questions for anyone who may have possibly been through this before:

Does anyone know of any other conditions that can cause an elevated AFP level? Does anyone else have a child who tested with elevated AFP levels?

Does anyone have any experience with A-T or has anyone else gone through the testing/diagnosis process? Did a doctor suspect A-T but it turned out to be something else?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. I find the waiting for test results to be the most exhausting part of this entire process.
#2 of 3 Old 08-20-2010, 10:43 AM

I could not post after reading. No info you are seeking, but hugs to you

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

#3 of 3 Old 10-10-2012, 02:55 AM

Hi,

I've only just seen this post and realise it was some years ago..... I am wondering what happened with your daughter.  My 18 month old has the same symptoms that your daughter has, and also an elevated AFP. They are currently testing her for A-T, but said there is a small chance she has this.  Obviously we are devastated.  I am just wondering what happened with you, how is your daughter? Was she diagnosed correctly?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page