Anxiety attacks - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-23-2010, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone here have a child who has Anxiety Attacks?
My ds#2 is 4 in october and for the past 2 months he has been having them. We are not sure why (and the Dr seems to be fobbing me off as making a mountain out of a mole hill).

He has an expressive speech delay, he understands what is said, he just has issues with how to say words and sometimes, he needs to be told to stop,slow down and speak a bit slower so he can get the words out so people can understand him.

In late 2009, he started having seizures, he sees a neurologist in october about this (we moved interstate and had to go on a waiting list for new patients ).

The issue is, when he becomes worried about something, or seperated from myself or DH he hyperventalates (sp?)

DS#1 2005 DS#2 2006 DS#3 2008
TTC#4 since September 2009
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-26-2010, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you teach him some coping methods such as slowing his breathing deliberately or having him breathe into a paper bag if he is hyperventilating? It sounds like he has some pretty extreme separation anxiety. There are some good books for kids with anxiety. One we've used is "What to Do When You Worry Too Much" and compares worrying to carrying for tomatoes that get out of control.

If you feel like your DS is having panic attacks and his doctor does think it matters, you might want to seek a second opinion or try a psychologist.

We are currently trying to figure out how we want to proceed with our DD's health care. She has anxiety and lately has been very depressed (she is only 7). It's been really hard, but our ND is on board. She wants us to get an evaluation in addition to counseling which we already just restarted.

Good luck to you.

I am a 40 year old unschooling, belly dancing, artist-mama of one almost 8 year old. I just had brain surgery and blogging.jpg about it a bit because it's just so surreal.

User Tag List