parenting the typically developing younger sibling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 08-29-2010, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 2 sons.... My oldest son has special needs, and among these needs his verbal expression is around that of a 2 year old or younger. He has a pretty strong temper/rage issue due to his frustration, and some other behavioral oddities.... By younger son...2 years old is reaching developmental tasks on time, but is immitating these behaviors...and to tell the truth, he has never really been an "easy" baby.... I am getting worried...worried that I have missed something because his needs aren't as severe as son#1 or that my attention is so heavily on the older son that I have missed something...I dont know...perhaps im looking too hard...input?? PLEASE??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 08-29-2010, 03:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
How old are your sons? Could you request an eval for the younger one just to put your mind at ease? Does the younger one spend time around neuro-typical peers? How does his behavior compare to his typical peers?

Could these behaviors be rewarded in some way in your family that might cause the younger child to continue them? Are they working for him in some way?

My older child has sn and I worry about my younger child from time to time too. Last year, we had soooo many issues with the older child that I completely lost track of what was going on with the younger one. I sat in a parent teacher conference and just asked questions -- worried that any thing could be going on with her and I wouldn't have a clue because her sister was taking up all my time and energy. She was fine.

Still, if you are concerned, finding the right person and asking questions is most likely to the quickest way to get it resolved. It's helpful when someone who knows your child tells you they are fine!

BTW, I think it is really good for typical sibs to have time away from their families, and I'm a fan of preschool or school. It lets them get out of that role for awhile.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page