Recommendation of a Visual Timer / Using a timer - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-31-2010, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking for a visual timer to help with my almost 4 year old. Her OT thinks it will help with transitions and perhaps the intensity we are experiencing with sharing issues. We were given the recommendation of a brand called Time Timer, but the reviews seem to say it is pretty flimsy. Does anyone have a visual timer they like? Did using a timer help with your kids?

Thanks!

Jen ~ DD1 (10/2006) ~ DD2 (9/2009) ~ DD3 (6/2012)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2010, 01:45 PM

We use the Time Timer. We have a large one hanging on a wall in our house. We also have a small counter top type one as well. It is rather flimsy and will not hold up to a child playing with it. We have to set the smaller one out of reach and remind our son he can't touch it move the dial etc.

It has been really great for our family and cuts down (although doesn't eliminate) all the questions about when we will do something. (Ex. We will go to grandma's house when the red is gone & set the timer for 25 min.) He will often go back and watch the timer as the red disappears.

I wish I could find a timer that timed hours. Since the Time Timer only times 60 minutes I have found it to be somewhat limiting in some instances.
Old 08-31-2010, 02:02 PM

We use on called a Time Tracker. It has options for hours and minutes as well as an adjustable system for the red, green and yellow lights( you can set the percentage of time for each).It also has options to set sounds as prompts when the lights shift. I think they used the darn thing on one of those reality nanny shows on TV... which was a big turnoff for me!I really like the unit though. There is a quick set button for things that you may do often ( maybe , say, 30 min before we leave the house, or to finish a meal etc) I also use it while homelearning. For some reason it is a lot easier for the kids to settle down for half an hour of math and focus when the minutes are there for them to count down!

:
Old 09-01-2010, 12:18 AM

We use the Time Timer as an application on an ipod touch - which makes it portable.

Samm

User Tag List