Kicking my kindergartener out? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 37 Old 09-07-2010, 04:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by savithny View Post
Welcome to charter schools and the privatization of the public school system. This is often how charters keep their statistics looking so good compared to traditional publics. Even if the law says otherwise re: disabilities.
Just so you know, this may be true in some areas, in other areas it is not. Where I live (and work in a charter school), charter schools have to take any child that comes through their door, or to use a completely random lottery if they have more applicants than slots. For us to exclude a child with a disability, they either need to commit the same kind of act that would result in expulsion from a public school (e.g. bringing a gun to school, or dealing drugs on campus) OR we need to demonstrate that this child's needs can only be met in a setting that is 100% special ed, not a self-contained classroom, but a self-contained school. Other than that, we are obligated to provide any services that the child needs.

Some charter schools do far better than the regular public schools on providing services, and some don't. Those that do right by their children with special needs often have a much higher percentage of children with IEPs than the regular public schools.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 37 Old 09-07-2010, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momily View Post
Just so you know, this may be true in some areas, in other areas it is not. Where I live (and work in a charter school), charter schools have to take any child that comes through their door, or to use a completely random lottery if they have more applicants than slots. For us to exclude a child with a disability, they either need to commit the same kind of act that would result in expulsion from a public school (e.g. bringing a gun to school, or dealing drugs on campus) OR we need to demonstrate that this child's needs can only be met in a setting that is 100% special ed, not a self-contained classroom, but a self-contained school. Other than that, we are obligated to provide any services that the child needs.

Some charter schools do far better than the regular public schools on providing services, and some don't. Those that do right by their children with special needs often have a much higher percentage of children with IEPs than the regular public schools.
We also have "home schools" in my area; no open enrollment. My charter school states on it's website that "we welcome all students who meet state age and health requirements" and is supposed to "choose" students through open lottery; there isn't even sibling preference. I think I mentioned before that the special ed services at this school are superior to ds last school; we didn't know that when we chose it but that ds' regular public school seemed clueless is part of why we did not send ds back to that school.

It seems that the accommodations the OP's ds might need are small and should be well within the ability of the school to provide (my son's teacher knows that ds is better placed in the middle of a line, that he likes to stand a bit a part of the group in class and needs a logical explanation/reminder of rules and consequences--not big things), especially with a teacher that is able, willing, and thinks that her ds is doing well. It seems that her school is trying to boot him on the basis of the IEP and not his current abilities. I can REALLY sympathize with that as ds behavior in school has done a 180 since the end of K last year (where he was suspended a couple days the last week of school); I'd hate for ds to be judged on that.

Hopefully the expulsion can be suspended pending a new IEP evaluation.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#33 of 37 Old 09-07-2010, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

I have submitted the letter to request the IEP review, and now I just have to wait the up to thirty days for the meeting to be scheduled. The school will not let me bring him back, so I guess that I should just keep him home for now.

I will update if I find out something new. I believe that he would be fine with minor accommodations for his OT and APE. And maybe an extra reminder to stay on task, line up, etc.
#34 of 37 Old 09-07-2010, 11:01 PM

I don't think they can refuse you to come back! (That sentence did not make sense, I'm a teacher and today was Day 1 so I'm a bit tired!)... But you "remain in" your current placement while IEP issues are worked out.

Though since your IEP says another school, that may complicate things.
#35 of 37 Old 09-10-2010, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter

I have tried to enroll my son in the local public school, rather than the charter, and I am supposed to hear on Monday if they have space for him and can admit him. Apparently, since I did the open enrollment process they might not be allowed to admit him. If a parent elects to do open enrollment, the student is expected to attend the other school for 1 year.

The charter will not take him back at all, and the local school might not take him either. This is such a mess and I am beyond frustrated!
#36 of 37 Old 09-10-2010, 11:38 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsc View Post
I have tried to enroll my son in the local public school, rather than the charter, and I am supposed to hear on Monday if they have space for him and can admit him. Apparently, since I did the open enrollment process they might not be allowed to admit him. If a parent elects to do open enrollment, the student is expected to attend the other school for 1 year.

The charter will not take him back at all, and the local school might not take him either. This is such a mess and I am beyond frustrated!
That seems strange. Is Kindegarten not required where you are? If it is required, I would think they have to take him in the public school. It would be like telling someone who moved in after the school year began they couldn't go to school. But, since some places are no longer making K required, then they can refuse to admit your son. It's just not right.

#37 of 37 Old 09-11-2010, 06:16 PM

They can not not enroll you. Call the head of sped services and calmly let him or her know that one the staff (the psyc) Rec a charter school but the cmte wrote IEP for self contained ? Services and no school is allowing you to enroll so you will be due compensatory services/payment for all the hours missed.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page