How to you get your kids to keep their orthotics on? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-03-2010, 04:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So the question is pretty simple...I am wondering how other people convince their toddlers that they need to keep their shoes with orthotics on? It really isn't an option but it is a major fight, especially when other kids are running around barefoot. I'm just looking for some suggestions to make it less of a battle!
#2 of 7 Old 09-03-2010, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are you sure they're properly fit? Our first pair wasn't great, they got tweaked and now my 21 month old actually tries to put them on himself.

A few times over the summer we took them off for the sandbox.

Anyway, I'd start with the fit. Good luck!
#3 of 7 Old 09-03-2010, 08:50 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My kid never fought me on it. Sorry.
#4 of 7 Old 09-03-2010, 10:30 PM

How old is your toddler?

Are you having your toddler wear shoes with the orthotic in the house when you are home? Is that were they are taking them off? Or are you leaving the shoes on as a way to keep your toddler from taking it all off?

Gabrielle has worn some sort of orthotic since she was 6 months old (she is in a KAFO and a hinged AFO right now). We really have never had a problem with her not wearing them.

Let me think.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#5 of 7 Old 09-03-2010, 10:31 PM

Also, what sort of orthotic are you talking about? Have you looked at adding additional straps they can't unfasten? Normally the straps are velcro.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#6 of 7 Old 09-08-2010, 07:31 PM

Our 4 year old son has AFOs. They have a neat cars n' trucks pattern on them that he loves which helps make him want to put them on. They are cheerful and fun looking.
I hear you that its a struggle - particulary when they are at the toddler stage and they are testing their boundaries.
I also agree with a few of the above posters to have the fit double checked.

Good luck!

Mama to "The Pud" - 4 years.
We both have todder onset Charcot Marie Tooth 1A.
#7 of 7 Old 09-10-2010, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
He's 2 and they do have velcro. I don't think it is a fit issue because he wears plain shoes sometimes too. He doesn't like anything on his feet 3/4 of the time, and wants something on them the other 1/4. I think it is really more about doing what the other kids are doing and figuring out what he has control of and what he doesn't more than anything, but it is just frustrating because he really needs them on. If he knows that they "have" to stay on, it turns into a battle...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page