SID resources to share on seamless socks and clothing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-04-2010, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My SID daughter started kindergarten and has to wear socks and pants for fitness/phys ed. She would prefer an open cotton dress and no socks, for obvious SID reasons. Dressing her is causing morning struggles and I don't want her to start her day off that way.

I need seamless but frugal resources. Is there such a thing? My internet search was financially draining. I don't have much money at all to spend.

Becca ~Mama to 3 (DD - 1/3/02) (DD - 2/16/04) (DS - 8/11/05)
#2 of 7 Old 09-04-2010, 03:52 PM

Socks: If you turn regular socks inside out, they're often much better for SPD kids.

We do bike shorts and leggings rather than 'pants'. She can put those on under her dress, if she wants to. She might do better with things that are quite form fitting, as they don't rub. Yoga pants might work too. Stay away from cheap sweats as they pill on the inside and are really irritating. My dd (who is sensitive, but not quite SPD) will not wear jeans or anything else.

I buy a lot of things on Ebay and at Thrift Stores. The Children's Place, Gymboree, Hanna Andersson all make comfy things my sensitive kid can wear. The Children's Place has some good end of season sales, and check the sale racks at places like Gymboree and the Gap Kids. I got some nice stretch pants at an outlet mall (either OshKosh or Carters, I can't remember) a couple of years ago.

Finally, is she getting occupational therapy? Our son became much more tolerant of different clothing after a few months of OT. The Wilbargar brushing protocol made a huge difference for him.

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#3 of 7 Old 09-04-2010, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For the socks, we got them from a sports store. It was not expensive at all. They were the cooling socks, ones that keep the feet from overheating in sports. But they work perfect for this.
#4 of 7 Old 09-06-2010, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Lisa, were the socks at the sport store seamless?!?! I can't believe no one told me this sooner!!!

I try the inside-out socks. It works about 40% of the time. If she can feel the seam come around to the bottom of her foot, it won't work. The seam has to be on the top, only.

You're so right about tight-fitting leggings/bike shorts.

We were told to brush her at night by our old OT. Do you think brushing her before dressing her would help??

OT is no longer covered by the state for us, and we can't financially pay out of pocket at this point due to my own medical bills. (which brings me guilt daily)

I just can't let her day start with "feeling attacked" by clothing.

Becca ~Mama to 3 (DD - 1/3/02) (DD - 2/16/04) (DS - 8/11/05)
#5 of 7 Old 09-06-2010, 02:46 PM

I know Soft Clothing makes seamless socks and other clothes especially for kids with sensory difficulties. softclothing.net

Stephenie, Wife to Nick partners.gif 9/3/05 Mama to Keagan treehugger.gif autismribbon.gif 4/12/07, Eden dust.gifhomebirth.jpg3/29/09  3rdtri.gif Someone new coming in July and two angels 6/06 and 10/10. Check out my blog! blogging.jpg

#6 of 7 Old 09-06-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRBH View Post
We were told to brush her at night by our old OT. Do you think brushing her before dressing her would help??
Yes! Brush and do the joint compressions every couple hours, when feasible. If she's at school, I'd brush in the AM before dressing, right when she gets home from school, right before dinner, and at bedtime. On weekends, I'd add a couple of other sessions. Make sure you get her feet (you'll have to start with doing it over her socks, I bet. We eventually were able to do it on ds' bare feet.)

Get the books "The Out of Sync Child Has Fun" and "Sensational Kids" from the library. There are a lot of good ideas in both of those for activities you can do to help her sensory needs. You can build a sensory diet into your life that will help and give you a sense of power.

You're human, momma. You get sick too and certainly you didn't set out to have lots of medical bills yourself. Don't beat yourself up. Take care of yourself, if for no other reason than your SPD kid will need you to co-regulate emotions for longer than a typical child will. If you're healthy, she'll manage. Really. (My dh has SPD and they didn't know enough to treat it back then.)

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)
#7 of 7 Old 09-06-2010, 03:21 PM

I recently found some surprisingly nice pants for DS 1 at Walmart- of all places. They are not completely seamless, but are soft enough that they aren't irritating his skin and a new flare of dermatographic urticaria (such a heightened sensitivity to pressure/touch that he develops hives at the slightest pressure against his skin.)

Socks- these work better than anything else for my oldest as well as my 2 yo. They are expensive though.

https://www.smartwool.com/default.cf.../outdoor/2569/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page