3 year old PDD-NOS throws tantrums when people laugh - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-10-2010, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH and I are at our wits end trying to help our son. He is 3 and was diagnosed with PDD-NOS in April. This summer he began throwing major tantrums and now he is exhibiting some strange behaviors. For example, when we are having a conversation and one of us laughs, he yells very loudly (it's a short yell-like he is annoyed) even if he's in another room. Sometimes he does it when we aren't even laughing but are just talking. He does it when other people are over and everyone is laughing too.

It is very frustrating for us. We tell him he needs to stop and he needs to calm down. But it does no good. He gets mad when DH plays the guitar sometimes as well. It's not all the time, which is why this is confusing. I keep thinking that this is a sensory issue. Does anyone have any other ideas? If it is sensory, what do we do about it? We are not going to stop laughing and stop playing music--those things keep us sane.

Please help! Thanks...

Mom to a 2-year old (Josiah) and an angel baby (Jonas) in Heaven~ is in my profile~expecting my rainbow baby in November 2010!
#2 of 4 Old 09-13-2010, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

bump! Anyone?

Mom to a 2-year old (Josiah) and an angel baby (Jonas) in Heaven~ is in my profile~expecting my rainbow baby in November 2010!
#3 of 4 Old 09-13-2010, 10:23 PM

I would try meeting with an OT.

I had a niece who cried when people sang happy birthday, for 4 years, but she stopped on her own and it was particular to that song.

One thing you could try is noise canceling headphones that your ds can put on when he wants too.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#4 of 4 Old 09-13-2010, 10:29 PM

oops.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page