ideas to help child keep hands to self while standing in line - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-16-2010, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My K son's teacher says he is having a hard time keeping his hands to himself while standing in line at school. She is OK with waiting until the last possible minute to put him in line, or giving him something to hold in his hands to fidget with. Does anyone have any other ideas of things that might help?
#2 of 7 Old 09-16-2010, 12:13 PM

My son had one of these last year but he ended up using it as a weapon

http://www.chewelry.ca/shop.html?gcl...FURj7AodaCL8Hg

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#3 of 7 Old 09-18-2010, 09:52 AM

It sort of depends on what exactly he is doing as far as not keeping his hands to himself. Is he touching the walls and such or the people around him? Is he hurting others or just touching?

Typically what I do with my students (I teach sped.) is to make that student the line leader so there isn't a student in front of him to touch. I also give them a job like carrying the clipboard or ball, etc. so that they have something "appropriate" in their hands and they feel like they are being a helper. I would hope that your child's teacher has already tried things like that. I also do lots and lots and lots of positive practice. Basically we practice the skill over and over again. If he touches someone, we go back to the beginning and practice it again. Not sure of your situation if he's in a regular ed. classroom or what so that might not be possible to do. I have also had kids put their hands behind their backs like "duck tails" or put their hands in their pockets while in line and maybe give them a small toy or fidget thing in their pocket so it's not as obvious to everyone else that he has something special. The only downside to those last two is that if they trip and/or fall there's a greater chance of them getting hurt because they can't get their hands out in front of them as quickly.
#4 of 7 Old 09-18-2010, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhesp1212 View Post
It sort of depends on what exactly he is doing as far as not keeping his hands to himself. Is he touching the walls and such or the people around him? Is he hurting others or just touching?

Typically what I do with my students (I teach sped.) is to make that student the line leader so there isn't a student in front of him to touch. I also give them a job like carrying the clipboard or ball, etc. so that they have something "appropriate" in their hands and they feel like they are being a helper. I would hope that your child's teacher has already tried things like that. I also do lots and lots and lots of positive practice. Basically we practice the skill over and over again. If he touches someone, we go back to the beginning and practice it again. Not sure of your situation if he's in a regular ed. classroom or what so that might not be possible to do. I have also had kids put their hands behind their backs like "duck tails" or put their hands in their pockets while in line and maybe give them a small toy or fidget thing in their pocket so it's not as obvious to everyone else that he has something special. The only downside to those last two is that if they trip and/or fall there's a greater chance of them getting hurt because they can't get their hands out in front of them as quickly.
These are excellent suggestions! I also used beanbags with the preschoolers I worked with. I had about 20 of them all in different patterns I made from scrap fabric and old jeans. You can add textures to them as well. It helped with keeping hands to themselves and gave them something to fidget with. Because they were all different they had fun comparing them and seeing which one they got each day at group times. (or other times that required more attention and no touching of others) It worked well with them so I used it with my son as well and he had several similar ones that he took to school with him and his teachers started getting him beanie babies as rewards that he could fidget with.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#5 of 7 Old 09-18-2010, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
I wanted to add than when you figure out what works, get it added to his 504 or IEP so that next year is all set with the teacher. You don't want to solve the problem during K and then have the first grade teacher decide that it isn't OK for him to "play" with something while waiting in line.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#6 of 7 Old 09-18-2010, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda on the move View Post
I wanted to add than when you figure out what works, get it added to his 504 or IEP so that next year is all set with the teacher. You don't want to solve the problem during K and then have the first grade teacher decide that it isn't OK for him to "play" with something while waiting in line.
Good point! Definitely get it added so they can't change it willy nilly.

Mom to Joscelyne 14, Andrew 12, and Mackenzie 10 and wife to Nate.
#7 of 7 Old 09-18-2010, 11:59 PM

I don't have a solution...but wanted to share a 'funny' from when my 17 yo was that age...

The K teacher for VBS ( was dh's K teacher in school! - mine are hs-ed) had DS put his hands behind his back to keep him from fooling with the shirt of the kid in front of him. Well.....DS started 'picking' at the kid's shirt with his teeth! (he demonstrated for me later) Yeah....I got "Your kid was BITING other kids today!" when I picked him up....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page