Making a cuddle swing - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-27-2010, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm planning on making a cuddle swing and would appreciate any advice. I found a picture of one I like here http://dreamgym.wordpress.com/2009/0...wing/milega31/. It just looks like they sewed about 2-3 yards of fabric into a loop then tied it to a rope with a carabiner clip. For the fabric I was thinking about using a cotton/lycra denim or a heavy cotton/lycra knit. Also if anyone has a swing like this one I am very curious about how the rope is tied. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2010, 03:05 PM

I'd like to make one too...anyone? Let me know how its going for yours..

Hayley, exclusively pumping (eliminating dairy and soy) 2 years now! Proud mommy to:Owyn 2/8/03 and Dominic 10/16/08 (GERD, SPD, pediatric feeding disorder, eczema) # 3 EDD 07/13/11
Old 10-08-2010, 10:53 PM

I think it's a great idea to make your own. It can't possibly cost you even half as much as they charge. That said, their prices are great for OT products. Especially for that indoor jungle gym!

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

Old 10-10-2010, 08:07 PM - Thread Starter

After shopping around for fabrics, I think that swing is a good price. I just got the fabric: 4 yards of cotton/lycra ponte** was $10 per yard, plus I have to by the hardware (probably another $10.) So I'm guessing I'm going to pay about $50 where I could have just bought it for $25 more (not sure about shipping.) I could have waited for the fabric to go on sale to save a little more, but I wanted it for the twins' birthday next week.

As for the fabric, it is an absolute dream and almost reminds me of something you would see a girdle made from. It is very supportive, but also very soft because of the cotton content. I found it at a local Mill End store which carries fabrics you don't see at the chain stores. The ponte fabric I saw at Joann's was 100% poly, felt scratchy to me and didn't have the added support of the lycra, but I think it would work. I also think a lycra blend twill or light weight denim would work, which had very similar give to the 100% poly ponte eventhough it is a weave. A couple other options at Joann's that might be worth a try would be polar fleece (the drawbacks being that it is hot and would require sewing to attach it) or cotton ribbing (this was a little too light weight and I would question it's durability, but it would be easy to just tie it up without sewing.)

I still have to get the hardware, but will let you know how it all goes together.

** Ponte is a bottomweight knit fabric.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:02 PM

Did you ever end up making that cuddle swing? I am thinking about making one for my little toddler for their birthday this summer and would love to hear how it went! I have been searching everywhere online for a pattern, I am not crazy about any of the colors I see for available cuddle swings.

Old 03-16-2012, 07:20 AM

Just in case anyone was still looking for a pattern for a cuddle swing, I found this on the bruda website.  Just keep in mind that bruda patterns do NOT take into account seam allowance.  http://www.burdastyle.com/projects/hanging-chair-for-a-toddler

Let me know how it works!  I am planning on making one for each of my boys.  One blue, for Bennett, and the other green for Liam.  That is how we organize everything for the boys.  Bennett is blue, Liam is green.  They are so close in age, it's just easier to keep things separated that way.

User Tag List