indoor swings - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-03-2010, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My almost 3 year old has SPD, with a questionable something else going on (aspie? perhaps...)

With the weather changing here, we are getting anxious about loosing the swing set in the yard/parks. Its what clearly grounds him.

For those of you that have them in your house, do you use pressure mounted? hard mounted? And where do you put them?? We have a ton of door ways, and one really big opening (about 4-5 feet across) which would be a great space for one.

Ideas? What works for you?
#2 of 13 Old 10-03-2010, 08:30 PM

we got a swing and hooks from ikea
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80041049
those are the hooks

here's the swing
http://www.amazon.com/Ekorre-Swing-h.../dp/B002XPNMFU

if you have an ikea local to you, they are only $30. for some reason amazon is jacking up the price. they aren't on the idea website tho.

mama to A (9) & B (6)
#3 of 13 Old 10-03-2010, 09:20 PM

We had an indoor pressure mounted swing like this one: http://www.playawaytoy.com/item108379.ctlg until DS reached about 50 pounds, and he got too big for it.
After that, we installed a hard mounted swing in his bedroom doorway that can easily hold up to 200 pounds. We reinforced it using porch swing eye bolts and it's pretty sturdy.

autismribbon.gif

#4 of 13 Old 10-03-2010, 09:40 PM

We also used IKEA items. We put ours in the basement (semi finished) and screwed the mounting pieces into the support beams. We put 5 across the room so the kids can switch the different swings/ladders/bars around.

My step son (who we primarily put it in for) is quite big for his age and we had to stop letting him use it. The IKEA stuff is rated up to 220 lbs, but we started to get too nervous about it.

Good luck finding something- overall I am really glad we did it.

Mama to DD-9, DSS-11, happily married and living with 1dog, 1 cat, 7 chickens, and 2 ducks....expecting 03/11
#5 of 13 Old 10-03-2010, 10:20 PM

We put a small one in a doorway and used a screw mounted chinup bar( which we already had) and carabeeners. We used an outdoor swing and a hommade trapeeze bar made with dowling and climbing rope. Nobody ever got hurt on ours... Couldn't afford the therapy swing prices at the time, so we rigged it up with what we had around.

:
#6 of 13 Old 11-03-2010, 01:48 PM

I own an online store and try to keep my prices as low as possible - I have a couple of hammocks and mounting sets that might be of use to you! check it out: www.babyware.ca
#7 of 13 Old 11-03-2010, 02:38 PM

We had the IKEA cocoon swing. Loved it. Held both my 40 lbs or so DDs easily (held me too!)!

Had it hanging in our living room. Another great investment was a small indoor trampoline.
#8 of 13 Old 11-03-2010, 05:27 PM

We couldn't do a ceiling mounted swing, so our first indoor swing was a hammock swing with a freestanding metal stand. It worked beautifully for our then-2 yo DD, but naturally the older kiddos wanted to swing on it, too, and after a year's hard use, the metal stand broke. Major bummer -- it was quite expensive, too!

So we replaced it with a doorway net swing -- the metal frame that holds it screws into the doorframe. It is quite sturdy, but I am not as fond of it b/c we can only move forwards and backwards, not from side to side or spinning around. Also, if you nudge it even the least bit crooked, it bumps into the doorframe and we've had more than a couple of bonked heads as a result. We solved that problem by putting a pillow into the swing to act as a buffer.

I think the best kind of swing to look for is one that can move in multiple directions, as many children w/SPD (which my DD has, as well) really enjoy spinning or moving all around. Swings made from a stretchy lycra-type material can also be great, as they provide the firm, cocooning pressure that many SPD kiddos really crave.

HTH,
Guin

caffix.giftoddler.gifnocirc.gifBusy, grateful mama to: Kieran (12); Hanna (10); Cameron (8);
Charlotte (6);Sophie (5) Down Syndrome & so beautiful! brokenheart.gif(9/08), & rainbow1284.gifDuncan 8/26/09
#9 of 13 Old 11-03-2010, 05:34 PM

We have one porch swing type eye-ring mounted into the ceiling (a beam, of course). Then we just have a regular $20 plastic outdoor swing like this one. Instead of it swinging from the two ropes, we put them together on a swivel and carabiner, and hook that to the eye hook. I can take photos if a visual would help... This way she can swing in all directions. She's sensory seeking--I like this swing because she likes to "push" with her arms and legs on the rail part of the seat. So she can push while she swings.

#10 of 13 Old 11-03-2010, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We just got this swing that mount in a doorway: http://www.sensoryedge.com/doorway-s...pport-bar.html

We like it, you can also get different swings to attach to it. This was given to us by a nurse (she had a patient previously who had outgrown it).

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#11 of 13 Old 11-04-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anj_rn View Post
We just got this swing that mount in a doorway: http://www.sensoryedge.com/doorway-s...pport-bar.html

We like it, you can also get different swings to attach to it. This was given to us by a nurse (she had a patient previously who had outgrown it).
Ohhhh, that's awesome!

Emily, cooking allergen free, knitting, reading, gardening Mom to 1 beautiful girl, born in the water on July 1, 2006 Wife to 1 handsome man since September 10, 2005
#12 of 13 Old 11-04-2010, 02:30 PM

This is what we had seen originally.... which is exactly the same as a chinup bar setup. For half of the price!
Then we used our own swings and climbing goodies to set up on there.
Not a walmart fan... but just to show that they are easy to find
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...ndingMethod=rr

:
#13 of 13 Old 11-10-2010, 11:59 AM

We bought a $20 swing from walmart that is meant to hang outside on a tree branch. my husband screwed two large hooks into the door jam. the hooks are 1/4" thick and 2" goes in the door jam. we can easily take it down when the kids can't handle it being there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page