Managing Aspergers resources aimed at kids - Mothering Forums
Special Needs Parenting > Managing Aspergers resources aimed at kids
hergrace's Avatar hergrace 07:49 AM 10-21-2010
DS1 does not have a dx of Asperger's, but strategies that help Aspies are helping him at school. He takes in a lot of literal information through reading, and, he resists me when I try to work with him on his challenges. So, I am looking for resources that he might be able to read to himself for us to talk about afterward. He is 7, and reads several years above grade level. I am particularly looking for books that are written for kids with Asperger's rather than their parents. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I have found "Take Control of Asperger's Syndrome" by Janet Price and Jennifer Engel Fisher, which is aimed at teens. I am wondering if there are similar resources intended for elementary school age kids.

Linda on the move's Avatar Linda on the move 12:03 PM 10-21-2010
There is a series of self help books for kids and some of the topics could be helpful to him. I've linked the book on social skills, and through this link you can find the ones on anxiety, feelings, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Lets-Be-Friend...ref=pd_sim_b_2

They aren't specifically about Asperger's but several of the titles are about issues that are common to kids with Asperger's. They are written to the child, not the parent.
joensally's Avatar joensally 08:37 PM 10-22-2010
Have you seen the social thinking books?
SilverLace's Avatar SilverLace 01:09 PM 10-23-2010
Have you seen "All Cats Have Asperger's" ? It's a children's book that puts a very positive spin on AS traits (it did create some confusion at our house, but overall it's a sweet book).

And there is another book, "Freeks, Geeks, And Asperger Syndrome" written by a boy with AS for other kids with AS. It's funny (sort of) my DSS couldn't generalize the messages because the boy wasn't enough"like him". But my DH read it and thought it was helpful.

Hope that helps.
Rose-Roget's Avatar Rose-Roget 03:02 PM 10-23-2010
I'd highly recommend Michelle Garcia Winner's Superflex and I'm a Social Detective books. They are written in comic book format, which my ds (not ASD, but can use some direct teaching) loves. The Superflex also has a curriculum book to go with it - really learning to think about social concepts. Browse through the other books on her site - she has VERY good resources and is often adding new ones.

Also, writing social stories to help with everyday things he might have trouble with. I assembled these into a binder and made it ds's book. He loves it. I included pictures of him in many of the stories.

Specific areas of need are important to keep in mind. I'm assuming it's not just the literal interpretations that lead you to think Asperger's, because most 7 year olds are literal, especially in reading. For this kind of stuff, though, ds likes joke books and comics. Many of the jokes have double meanings that he may or may not know already, so we can talk about why the jokes are funny - the 2 meanings they have. I bought him a Calvin and Hobbes book from Scholastic book fair. In hindsight, it's not the most appropriate book for a 6 year old, but he loves the challenge of the hard words, and it makes for some interesting conversation to talk about perspective taking, vocabulary, and humor.
Up