For those (and others) who've seen Autism: The Musical - Mothering Forums

#1 of 4 Old 10-27-2010, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There's a moment in Autism: The Musical I can't shake. It's the moment Adam the cello player's aide was talking about how much of a "ladies man" he is on the playground because he likes the girls and the girls like him. Then she said something to the effect that it was a shame that he had Autism because if he didn't have it then, well, "imagine the possibilities."

They didn't profile Adam too-too much, more his mother, and the scene might have been in the extras come to think of it. But still, I'm curious about what SN mamas think about an NT aide commenting on the romantic future of an ASD child.

Is Adam "out" of the dating game? Or is this aide jaded? Impossible to tell? TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-27-2010, 08:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogWife View Post
There's a moment in Autism: The Musical I can't shake. It's the moment Adam the cello player's aide was talking about how much of a "ladies man" he is on the playground because he likes the girls and the girls like him. Then she said something to the effect that it was a shame that he had Autism because if he didn't have it then, well, "imagine the possibilities."

They didn't profile Adam too-too much, more his mother, and the scene might have been in the extras come to think of it. But still, I'm curious about what SN mamas think about an NT aide commenting on the romantic future of an ASD child.

Is Adam "out" of the dating game? Or is this aide jaded? Impossible to tell? TIA.
Hmm, I haven't seen the play. But I did have an awful moment where a teacher said to me about my child on the spectrum, "Just imagine what his wife will have to put up with, not that he'll probably ever get married." Umm, yeah. Nice.

#3 of 4 Old 10-28-2010, 01:16 AM

I did see the documentary, but do not remember this part specificly. The aide is way off base. Many persons with ASD can and do date, get married, and have kids of their own. What an unfortunate viewpoint for her to hold and convey.

Wife to DHluxlove.gif DS 98thumb.gif DD 03flower.gif DS 09 babyf.gifwinner.jpgcd.gifnovaxnocirc.gif

She is here!!! Oct 5th!!!joy.gif

#4 of 4 Old 10-28-2010, 08:58 AM

I know plenty of non-special needs adults who don't have a significant other and I know many special needs adults in committed relationships - many with lovely children of their own.

I think it was an ignorant statement.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page