DS tunes out during story time. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-04-2010, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Whenever I read to DS, he just tunes out and plays with a toy vehicle. Should I bother with storytime? The speech therapist says to keep doing it, but I don't know if he gets any benefit. He has yet to speak at age level. (he's 2.5 years old)
#2 of 5 Old 11-04-2010, 11:04 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
I vote to keep doing it. He's most likely still getting a lot out of it, even if he is playing at the same time.

Does he like lift the flap books or books with textures at all? Books about things (trucks, animals, etc) more than stories?

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#3 of 5 Old 11-04-2010, 11:21 AM

As long as he isn't making sounds that drown you out, I would continue.

DS, 10/07. Allergies: peanut, egg, wheat. We've added dairy back in. And taken it back out again. It causes sandpaper skin with itchy patches and thrashing during sleep. Due w/ #2 late April, 2012.

#4 of 5 Old 11-04-2010, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Well, once DH was reading a pop up book about cars, that I got from the library and DS actually got interested but then grabbed and ripped out a 'pop up'.

Thanks for your responses!
#5 of 5 Old 11-04-2010, 12:09 PM

Modify your "reading" to whatever level your child is ready for. It may not mean reading the words of the book at all, but just turning the pages of a board book as you say "turn, turn, turn... all done!" Even skip some pages to make him successful but try to keep him a little longer each time, if you can! Sometimes it is a challenge to get kids to look at books so we don't want to expect too much at first, such as really reading all of the words/story to them. I always try to make any activity (reading, bubbles, blocks,...) as simple, fun and interactive as possible so they will want to stay in the interaction. The sillier, the better!
HTH!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page