Normal behavior for 4yo boy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-04-2010, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi all, I have a question. I worry a little about my son and his behavior. He's a sweet little guy and minds well, gets along well with other kids and doesn't seem to have any developmental delays.
He has these little outbursts where he'll make loud, repetitive noises (picture an ape going, "OOH OOH OOH" and other weird noises). It's like he can't help it - I'll ask him to stop and he does it really quiet - like he HAS to. This happens at least 10x per day, more when he's sick or tired.
Is this normal for a preschool boy? DH says it is, but he also has mild OCD, where he counts stuff and has to line things up. So it may just seem normal to him!
DS has a neurology appt in a week for recurrent febrile seizures and I'm going to try to remember to ask then.
Any insight is much appreciated!

Shannon, AP mom to:
dd1, 8
ds1, 6
dd2, 3

ds2, 1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 11-04-2010, 09:53 PM

Sounds like a tic of some sort. I definitely would ask the neurologist.

Mama to DS 10/04, DD 12/06, and DD 11/09 my baby
Missing DS 10/08
#3 of 6 Old 11-04-2010, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a 4 year old boy. I don't think 10 times a day is normal, but I will say my son will sometimes make weird noises and when I ask him to stop he keeps doing it really quietly. I think he is playing with the sounds. If I press him though he will stop completely and move on.

Ask the neuro. I had a friend whose daughter made repetitive movements with a noise, and would not stop and it turned out to be part of a seizure disorder, they called them tics, but they happened when she was having partial seizures. No one had even thought seizure but the ordered a sleep deprived EEG and sure enough.
#4 of 6 Old 11-04-2010, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Right before I even read the part about your husband having mild OCD, this was the first thing that popped into my head. I would want to rule out anything more serious, but it could just be OCD as well. Good luck.
#5 of 6 Old 11-05-2010, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks ladies. I will make it a point to ask the neurologist. I do think it's some sort of compulsive behavior, but he does stop if I ask him a couple times so I don't know if it's something to worry about or not. We'll find out in a week when he goes to the neurologist.

Shannon, AP mom to:
dd1, 8
ds1, 6
dd2, 3

ds2, 1

#6 of 6 Old 11-23-2010, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to quickly update.  I told the neurologist about it and she just kind of chuckled like it was no big deal.  It was in the middle of my describing his personality, symptoms / seizures, etc, so I didn't outright ask specifically about it.  But she never mentioned it after that, so I guess it's nothing to worry about.

Shannon, AP mom to:
dd1, 8
ds1, 6
dd2, 3

ds2, 1

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page