Christian communion and oral aversion - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-10-2010, 05:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Anybody ever have a child with oral aversion try to receive communion?    We have at least a couple years to go, but I just started thinking about this and it could be a problem.  I figure at least I've got a couple of years to try and figure it out.  The problem arises from the fact that in the Catholic church communion takes on special significance, and you can't just go spitting it out or dropping it.  (This is totally aside from the problem that DS is allergic to grape and wont be receiving the wine.)  So just the bread is of concern here.

On a similar note, what do children who don't have oral aversion but who might otherwise drop the host do?

Kim mama to DS 12/2005, Pepper kitty , and 10/03, 1/05;
#2 of 10 Old 11-10-2010, 05:30 AM

In the Catholic Church, if you drop the host, you can just pick it back up and consume it.

Could you ask the priest to just give him a very tiny sliver--even a crumb is considered acceptable.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#3 of 10 Old 11-10-2010, 05:38 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae View Post

In the Catholic Church, if you drop the host, you can just pick it back up and consume it.

Could you ask the priest to just give him a very tiny sliver--even a crumb is considered acceptable.

If DS drops the host, I can guarantee he won't pick it back up and eat it himself.  I guess I'd have to follow him and do that ... just in case.

We also have two kinds of bread in our church - one is the usual flat hosts and the other is one of those baked loaves that break into nuggets.  The nuggets will be a real problem.  The flat hosts can be broken...but the piece size will be important - too small and he probably won't take it either.

Hmmm, we have an "inclusion" committee, maybe I should pose the question to them.  I wonder if we could do a "dry run" with wafers before they have been transsubstantiated.

#4 of 10 Old 11-10-2010, 05:41 AM

The Eucharistic Minister can also be the one to consume the dropped host as well. smile.gif  They've been trained in what to do (at least I was when I was a EM. lol.gif: )

A dry run is a good idea.  I've never heard of the non-flat hosts before (except that I've seen our church use a special non-flat bread just for First Communion, but I've never had a close look at them--just from a distance in the pews.  That's the only time of the year I've seen it come out.)  Our son has oral aversions too, and we'll likely ask for a dry run next year when he takes communion.

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#5 of 10 Old 11-10-2010, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyRae View Post

The Eucharistic Minister can also be the one to consume the dropped host as well. smile.gif  They've been trained in what to do (at least I was when I was a EM. lol.gif: )

A dry run is a good idea.  I've never heard of the non-flat hosts before (except that I've seen our church use a special non-flat bread just for First Communion, but I've never had a close look at them--just from a distance in the pews.  That's the only time of the year I've seen it come out.)  Our son has oral aversions too, and we'll likely ask for a dry run next year when he takes communion.

Thanks for the info.  Let me know how it goes next year with your son smile.gif

Oh, and it sounds like the non-flat bread you have for first comm could be just like what we have.  It can be pretty chewy, and so I know that would get spit out, which is worse than just dropping it.  I'll bet you could ask for a flat host for your DS if you think it would help.

#6 of 10 Old 11-10-2010, 08:17 AM

There shouldn't be a problem with doing a dry run. My entire second grade class was allowed to try an unblessed host when we were preparing for First Communion.

If it is a problem, remember that he only has a duty to take communion once per year, at Easter. The Church encourages communion as often as possible, but it's only required once per year. The parish that I grew up in allows people who aren't receiving communion to come to the altar for a blessing, instead of communion, during communion. People who want to do that just get in line, and cross their arms to show the priest that they aren't taking communion today.

#7 of 10 Old 11-10-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverTam View Post

There shouldn't be a problem with doing a dry run. My entire second grade class was allowed to try an unblessed host when we were preparing for First Communion.

I remember my second grade class doing a dry run during our preparation for First Communion 30 years ago!

My son (age 6 with ASD) is in 1st grade this year, so I don't have any advice, but I do have a question. I'm very concerned about whether or not my son will be ready for the sacraments of Reconciliation and Holy Communion next year. He does OK in his religious ed class and he can recite everything back by rote, but I'm not sure he's really "getting it". Are you using a special preparation program for kids with special needs, or is your son able to understand the regular materials?

Lolly
Mom to an amazing little guy, age 9 (Autism, Hyperlexia, Dyspraxia, Albinism, Chromosome Microdeletion)

#8 of 10 Old 11-10-2010, 11:48 AM

I have the same problem too with my ASD kiddo.  DS is awesome at memorizing his prayers this year in his 1st grade PSR class.  But he doesn't understand a darn bit of what he is saying.  I'm going to start a Godly Play homeschool program with the kids--it's a Montessori based Christian formation class.  Then I'll be able to teach it in a way he *does* get at home.  I know he understood his kindergarten PSR class, but I'm our parish kindy teacher, so I was able to structure the class in a way that worked well for him.  1st grade is a lot of memorization though, which makes the teacher think he's top of the class (he's the only one who's memorized all 6 of his prayers.  But he has a photographic memory, so of course that was easy for him.  Ask him what the two words "Hail Mary" mean, and he's at a complete loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lollybrat View Post

I remember my second grade class doing a dry run during our preparation for First Communion 30 years ago!

My son (age 6 with ASD) is in 1st grade this year, so I don't have any advice, but I do have a question. I'm very concerned about whether or not my son will be ready for the sacraments of Reconciliation and Holy Communion next year. He does OK in his religious ed class and he can recite everything back by rote, but I'm not sure he's really "getting it". Are you using a special preparation program for kids with special needs, or is your son able to understand the regular materials?

#9 of 10 Old 11-10-2010, 12:54 PM

If the oral aversion were severe, I would probably ask the minister for a blessing instead.  I think the heart is in the right place, and God would understand the situation.

#10 of 10 Old 11-10-2010, 01:11 PM

Talk to the Priest and/or the Inclusion Ministry, they'll be able to help.  Chances are they've had other kids with this issue.

Mama of three.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page