speech articulation issues and gross motor delays: related? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-12-2010, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Warning....Looooooooong post :)

I am in the process of having our 3 year evaluation for DDs IEP.  We have had lots of testing and diagnosing going around...Went to a University for a full on eval., and her ST has evaluated her with a very thorough test (Kaufman (KSPT), the Peabody picture vocabulary test(PPVT-4), Preschool language scale (PLS-4), and the Hodson Computerized Analysis of phonological Patterns(HCAPP 3rd Add.))....The findings are not entirely clear, well, they do not come out with a clear diagnosis.  She is 4.5 years old and her speech is highly unintelligible.  When observed by an unfamiliar listener her speech is only intelligible 25% of the time.  Her diagnosis from the university is Developmental Articulation Disorder, though they were not able to rule out Apraxia (she is inconsistent with some words), it does not seam to be her main diagnosis. 

She has also been in PT.  She fell off a stool when she was 15 months old and broke her left leg, after that, she did not walk until 18 months (she had only walked for 1 week before breaking her leg), and she had PT after that the help her catch up.  She has been behind in her gross motor skills since then (She cannot hop, and her run is very different, cannot leap, or balance heal to toe)...now the PT, with no test to back her up, suggested that it was not a developmental delay, but that it could be something else. ?????

She also had her fine motor skills evaluated and they saw that she switches her pen or utensil several times when drawing or eating, and they mentioned that they may be a reason that she is doing this as well,  that could be related to her gross motor, lack of coordination, and her speech delay and her inability to form sounds with her mouth.  As I type this all out, I wonder if anyone is able to follow it ;)

I never related her lack of coordination with her speech delay, but I am curious to see if any other moms out there have children with similar delays. 

Oh, and I forgot to mention that she is of average to above average intelligence.  She knows her ABCs, can count to 30, can write her name, draw detailed pictures, do analegies, and problem solve, and her social behavior is right on target for her age as well.

Its like putting together a puzzle.....I really want to help DD anyway I can, and sometimes I feel like if we had a better understanding of why she is delayed, we could figure out a better way to help her.

Hayley SAHM to Ryan (02) & Annabel (06) and Jameson (10)

User Tag List