Mothering Forum banner

Trouble processing language

859 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  NataliaI 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with preschool age children having trouble processing language. I've checked a bit online, but from what I've read so far, it could be so many different things.

My child is 3. She attends preschool. This is her first experience in large groups aside from visits to parks/indoor playgrounds (she does plays regularly with other children who are a year to 2 years older - but this usually works out to be groups of 4 or less). Her teacher mentioned that DD seems to have some trouble communicating, possibly trouble processing language, and understanding reason when she becomes frustrated or upset. Sometimes this leads to tears and once she was aggressive towards another child. The teacher recommended a developmental evaluation. I have noticed this behavior (especially the frustration) to some extent in DD and have been working with her. I haven't seen the extremes noted by the school, but am assuming that's due to the difference in environment.

She has improved, but still needs to be reminded sometimes of boundries, to use gentle touches and her words to communicate her feelings/help her work through her frustrations. There were a couple of incidents this week where she became very upset and didn't seem to understanding when they were trying to get her to engage in a discussion with another student. It took several people and a long time to calm her down. At home, DH or I can usually work this through with her fairly quickly. I had thought her behavior might a combination of not enough socialization in large groups or maybe not being mature enough for preschool yet, being a bit spoiled by the grandparents (we're working on this too) and being three, but now I'm wondering if the teacher is correct and there might also be something else going on as well.

I did request the evaluation, but really hate the waiting and also going in basically clueless. I'd love to hear people's thoughts and/or their similar experiences. Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like the teacher is in-tune and alert. That is good!

What is your mother-intuition telling you? Is she your oldest child?

It can be difficult to know what is normal. Esp. attached parents tend to be aware of their child's needs and how to support them, so challenges may be invisible at home.

Our experience with evaluations in the ps system was good. Better than private actually since they did not have a financial incentive to have our child need services. Hope you get great people who give you clear, useful information.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.