SPD and possible spectrum leading to EARLY potty learning? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 12-07-2010, 03:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been looking for info on this but I keep getting information on spectrum kids who learn to use the potty very late.  In our house, we don't do anything except indulge interest in potty sitting  or watching until age 3 for the two older kids.  One was totally done with diapers by age 4 and the other just a few weeks after 3, but they were NT.  Before that, there was NO WAY they were anywhere near ready, and the one who wasn't done until 4 still had accidents a couple times a month in bed until almost 6 (and he actually gets up like twice a night to pee so we assume he just has a small bladder).

Fast forward and we now have a 2.5 year old who has been diagnosed SPD and PDD-NOS, though the non-sensory issues are mild and are mostly centered around rigidity in actions and routines, along with hyper focus and repetitive stimming, so the lack of speech delay leads me to believe he will one day be diagnosed with Aspergers like one of his parents.  He's been sitting on the potty now for a few months because he thinks it's "fun" and would brush his teeth while sitting there, but over the last few days he has been ACTUALLY using the potty.

It started with peeing on the potty, and then wanting to wear his under ware all day.  Then he asked in a store and actually went in a big public toilet.  Now he's been going in the potty almost exclusively, even at night.  Earlier, he yelled for me from his crib to come get him to go potty but I was all the way in the basement doing laundry so I didn't hear until I was in the living room.  By the time I got up there, he was standing up, holding a soaked diaper looking sad and saying "Need potty, diaper yucky!"  Then melt down.

Has this happened to anyone else?  I am almost certain that the reason he's doing this is because he HATES the feeling of a wet or poopy diaper against his skin and has assigned "pee in the potty" as a new "rule" that must be enforced at all cost or else meltdown.   He was seriously the fasted kid we've ever "potty trained" and there was no training involved!  Plus our other kids don't have the same sensory issues and didn't stop having accidents nearly as quickly once the potty journey started.  My husband suggested that he might just be OCD and SPD instead of spectrum due to the hand washing and need to not be sitting in his own pee or poop, but that seems to be a stretch.  Pretty much everything I read talks about how hard these kids are to get on a toilet though, so I am wondering if we're barking up the wrong tree due to our assumptions about his symptoms based on family history.

#2 of 10 Old 12-07-2010, 03:21 PM

Has he always hated having a dirty diaper against his skin?

My older son is likely on the spectrum and has major sensory stuff going on. He was one of those babies who HATED to poop in a diaper and by 5-6 weeks old had started holding it in for days and then having major blowouts. I'm thankful I found (EC) elimination communication and started when he was 3 months old, because from that point on he was given the opportunity to poop in a potty instead of his diaper, and he became very regular. I could literally count on one hand the number of poopy diapers he had between 3 and 6 months old.  Once he realized he could avoid soiling himself, he also strongly communicated his need to pee outside of diapers. In fact I quit using them when he was around 7 months old and used training undies for the next year (the thin gerbers, yeah he was that good at making his needs clear.)

"Rigidity in actions and routines" describes DS's pottying habits perfectly. By the time he could walk, he'd ONLY use his little squatty potty and it took until after his 3rd birthday before we could get him to use any other toilet. Until pretty recently (he's 5 now) he would just hold it, and hold it, and hold it if he wasn't in just the right place to use a familiar toilet (or earlier, if his little potty wasn't available.) He would not, under any circumstances, soil himself, but he also would not use an unfamiliar potty. He would get more and more out of control as his bladder began to hurt more, and then he'd wind up in a complete meltdown and finally wet himself, and be fine.

So, all that to say, yep I think some sensory kids can definitely decide they're done soiling themselves at an early age.

Mama to two crazy boys (8/05 & 9/07) and happy wife to one wonderful hubby.
#3 of 10 Old 12-07-2010, 03:27 PM

My son is 5, he has not (yet) been diagnosed as ASD, but we highly suspect AS. He was potty trained at a little over 3 for pee, but he was trained for BM at just over 2.5 as he hated BM on him back when he was a newborn already. However, we now have some other bathroom issues - he will not use toilets. He will use a potty chair, a male travel urinal, or some other container. He is very reluctant to pee anywhere other than home. For many months he was holding his pee all day at childcare because it wasn't home.

Sorry...I guess this post really wasn't at all helpful!!!

DS (6) is diagnosed with Asperger's, Hypotonia, and Static Encephalopothy 

#4 of 10 Old 12-07-2010, 06:47 PM

Not for us. We started pushing the potty at 3yo because he was so big and had so much "output." It took about 3 months to pee train him and 6 to poop train him. Ds really didn't care about having a dirty diaper.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#5 of 10 Old 12-08-2010, 12:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsfairy View Post

Has he always hated having a dirty diaper against his skin?

My older son is likely on the spectrum and has major sensory stuff going on. He was one of those babies who HATED to poop in a diaper and by 5-6 weeks old had started holding it in for days and then having major blowouts. I'm thankful I found (EC) elimination communication and started when he was 3 months old, because from that point on he was given the opportunity to poop in a potty instead of his diaper, and he became very regular. I could literally count on one hand the number of poopy diapers he had between 3 and 6 months old.  Once he realized he could avoid soiling himself, he also strongly communicated his need to pee outside of diapers. In fact I quit using them when he was around 7 months old and used training undies for the next year (the thin gerbers, yeah he was that good at making his needs clear.)

"Rigidity in actions and routines" describes DS's pottying habits perfectly. By the time he could walk, he'd ONLY use his little squatty potty and it took until after his 3rd birthday before we could get him to use any other toilet. Until pretty recently (he's 5 now) he would just hold it, and hold it, and hold it if he wasn't in just the right place to use a familiar toilet (or earlier, if his little potty wasn't available.) He would not, under any circumstances, soil himself, but he also would not use an unfamiliar potty. He would get more and more out of control as his bladder began to hurt more, and then he'd wind up in a complete meltdown and finally wet himself, and be fine.

So, all that to say, yep I think some sensory kids can definitely decide they're done soiling themselves at an early age.

hmmmm...that's an interesting question.  He was SO very cranky as a baby that it was very hard to narrow down any direct causes.  He was the first baby where we actually really used our swing (and many times it was the only thing that made him calm enough to sleep) and using my ring sling was just too...stimulating?...for him at all.  He could NOT be near my boobs unless he was hungry or he'd just scream and drive his head onto my nipple repeatedly without trying to latch since he was already full.  He was so very different than the other kids, and also had to sleep in a crib (or swing) in a completely dark and noiseless room from birth or else he couldn't sleep at all (unlike the others who all coslept for almost a year).  It is very likely that it bothered him then but we just didn't pick up on it amid everything else in life that seemed to upset him.  I didn't hear about EC until coming here which is kind of a shame  :(

For over a year he's been waking up totally naked most days because he takes off his diaper and any bed clothes we were lucky enough to get him to wear at some point in the night.  During the day he's been asking us to change him when he's messy for as long as I can remember, though I guess it just occurred to him to be pre-emptive about it.  

We didn't have a potty chair yet because we didn't start anything until 3ish with the others, but it sounds like that might have been a blessing in disguise in this case.  He does tend to want to do stuff in the exact same way he did it the first few times, so had he not had the toilet as his only option he might have decided to NEVER use a regular toilet just like he will NEVER use anything other than his specific booster seat at a table.  

#6 of 10 Old 12-08-2010, 05:31 AM

My 24 month old is showing signs of ASD and SPD, he's been using the potty sinse 18 months.  He absolutely hates to have poop in his diaper.  for the past 6 months he's pretty much been naked from the waist down.  He will completely lose it if he poops in a diaper.

#7 of 10 Old 12-22-2010, 12:29 AM

My son is 2.5, has been diagnosed ASD, possibly Asperger's. He has sensory issues, and he was using the potty at 20 months with no accidents after only 3 days of learning.

He hated being wet from the day he was born. He hated cloth diapers, I guess because they weren't as absorbant. But even with sposies, all it took was one tiny little pee and he wanted to be changed. At 18 months we did a few days of playing around with the potty to gain interest and switched from diapers to pull-ups and then when I was out of classes for summer break, we got regular ole undies and it only took 3 days before he was reliably telling me when he had to go.

He doesn't possess the skill to pull his pants up and down on his own, so I have to help him. But other than that, he's been out of diapers for 10 months.

And yes, he's very attached to routines, too. He prefers his "froggie potty" over all others, though he doesn't mind standing up to pee at the big toilet and i think he likes the big toilet more for pooping, as well. The times that he goes are pretty rigid though. Upon waking up, right before nap, right after nap, before bath and again before bed. Even when he has to go in between those times, he will try to hold it as long as he can before he finally whimpers that he has to pee pee (or until one of his "scheduled" potty breaks happens, whichever comes first).

#8 of 10 Old 12-27-2010, 09:42 AM

I was just reading in The Mislabeled Child that kids with hypersensitivity in their interoceptive sense might use the bathroom frequently (thus probably easier to potty train) because they are hyper-aware of the sensation.  Furthermore, I suppose it stands to reason that some kids may also be very sensitive to the feeling of wet pants/diaper. 

#9 of 10 Old 12-28-2010, 09:37 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My DD is an SPD kid and PT reasonably early -- about 26 months for daytime, and 28 months for nighttime.  We did encourage her on the daytime PT, but the nighttime PT was all her idea. 

Erin, mom to DD (1/06) and DS (10/09)
#10 of 10 Old 12-29-2010, 03:28 PM

No DX of ASD, but we do have a DX of Sensory Integration Issues with DS2.

He self potty trained around 20 - 22 months of age when we were at home.  But due to his expressive language delay (no words till he was 2.5-3), when we were out in public it was a bit tougher.  He did potty train out in public around 2 1/2, when we were able to get him to understand the ASL sign for "toilet" and get him to put the sign and sensation together.  At night, it was a bit tougher, he would have accidents, but wake up and want to be changed immediately.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page