results of EI evaluation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 12-09-2010, 10:43 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for reading, I feel like there are fams dealing with 'real' issues, and I don't want to wast your time.  I finally made an appt with early intervention (after months of thinking about it), and they came and did the eval this morning accepting him into the program.  I knew that his speaking (or lack of) is a prob, but I wasn't prepared for anything else to be listed.  Here's what they have:

signifacnt delays in expressive speech

moderate delays:

receptive speech

social-emotional

adoptive skills

They also commented on his toe walking and stimming as well as his sensory seeking behaviors.  None of this is a suprise to me, but I didn't realize how shocked I would be by looking at his behavior clinically.  It's clear my son isn't 'normal', but he is who he is.  He's smart, fearless, sweet and the love of my life.  lol, I don't know why I'm shaking inside.  I was afraid they would do the eval and tell me I was crazy and overreacting.

I guess I'm asking if anyone has been here before and what they think of his delays.

#2 of 8 Old 12-09-2010, 10:47 AM

Well, I dont think they uncommon delays. I think that they are going to be responsive to therapy and I am glad you had him assesed.

Clinicalled, I think that maybe a ASD could be looked into further. He is showing signs of sensory processing difficulties, which may just be on its own or with an ASD.

Or maybe he will outgrow it all in a year.

Its very hard to say honestly.

What do YOU feel about it?

And BTW those are REAL issues. All issues are real issues when they affect our kids. HUGS to you.

#3 of 8 Old 12-09-2010, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

beenmum- thnks for the reply.  I think I"m hyper-sensitive to this b/c I have two syblings with Aspbergers (sp?).  I remember my mother telling me that she knew something was up with them but the ped blew her off for years.  While I love my pediatrician, I brought up some concerns when he was 18 months and she told me he was too young to be concerned.  I understand what she's saying, but I'm not a mom who freaks out about the small things.  We have a ped appt tomorrow so I'll get to go over all this with her.  BTW ds is 2 years old today! 

#4 of 8 Old 12-09-2010, 12:03 PM

Well happy b'day to your little one!

#5 of 8 Old 12-09-2010, 12:26 PM

Right there with you. DD is almost 22 mos and is in EI for global delays. She just began to walk but is completely non-verbal, very withdrawn at some times, but extremely social and engaged at others. Her fine motor skills are very far behind....her teacher has referred to her on more than one occasion as "a tough nut to crack." 

Currently, we are seeing a teacher and OT. We did PT but now that she's walking we've scaled back on that. I just yesterday made an appt with a Developmental Pediatrician and also called to get her enrolled in a study for non-verbal toddlers. 

I'm a single mom so the full weight of this is pretty much on my shoulders, and I feel any of the following on any given day:

can't breathe, under water, worst mom ever, depressed, joyful, optimistic, at peace...

It's hard to hear that your baby isn't "normal", but I see things similarly to how you do. My little sidekick is this beautiful little ray of sunshine and I love her so much that it makes me feel like I'm going to puke. She is who she is and I will beg, borrow, and/or steal to get her every single thing that she needs/wants.

A lot of people don't catch things this early, so we've both got that on our sides. Best of luck to you on your journey.

: single mom extraordinaire, keeper of eew since 02/09
#6 of 8 Old 12-09-2010, 01:01 PM

I'm on my third with delays and EI.  The older 2 are pretty normal now, at 12 and 9.

You should look into ASD if you have 2 family members on the spectrum, there is a loose genetic component in some families.  However, you are doing the right stuff, so don't get freaked out.  None of us are totally  "normal" we are all different.  You can do this.

EI has been wonderful for all my kids, for the oldest we sought out additional therapy for 6 months or so and did stuff at home.  With this littlest one we are going to start home therapy next month.  It doesn't have to be work, either, just fun.  We'll do fingerplays, beanbag work, balance beam stuff, stretching, crossing the midline things.  You just need someone to show you, and then most of it is easy.

"Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life?"~Mary Oliver

RT knitting mama  to 3 (& 8 who didn't make it) wife working on 13 years to a silly man who drives me crazy.
#7 of 8 Old 12-09-2010, 01:54 PM

It's important to remember that he is the same child he was yesterday! A diagnosis merely opens the door to services thumb.gif. Most parents that have been "waiting" on a diagnosis and finally get one, probably  feel "yay! orngbiggrin.gif" then, "oh, crap blush.gif."

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#8 of 8 Old 12-09-2010, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

thank you all for your replies!  my best friend is a child psychologist and she suggested I get a referal to someone qualified to make a diagnosis asap.  she reminded me that my syblings never got this help so he's already got a leg up.  The poor kid was so worked up from the eval this morning we had a crazy afternoon and evening (he threw himself around, dumped all the dipes and wouldn't let himself be held).  that's pretty normal around here though eyesroll.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page