How do you keep doing this? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-12-2010, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I mostly just need to vent I think.  I know there are LOs out there with much worse situations than my DD3, but right now I am kind of stuck in the abyss.

2 healthy DDs and now #3 just has a slew of things going on, since birth, some diagnosed, some not, repeated drs, needles, meds....she wakes every 10 min all night...so tired of juggling kids to get to the children's hospital for tests, etc, etc.  I am just so incredibly tired. I havent slept in so long. I dont know how to juggle my other kids well while tending to her.  We have another day at the hospital thursday.  And nothing seems to be doing much.  Ultimately she will likely be fine.

But I am so so tired....tired of trying to manage it all. 

How do you keep doing this without losing your mind???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2010, 03:55 PM

Honestly, you just kinda hit rock bottom at some point, become resigned, and get used to it. It's exhausting no matter what, but eventually you do get used to it and it just becomes your normal. It's very exhausting though and I'm not sure it ever gets less exhausting. :hugs

Old 12-12-2010, 04:56 PM

Yes, it becomes a new normal.  We have been doing it so long that it is all fairly routine now.  Still exhausting though.

Cassie, mom to Alex(4/7/05), Aidan(7/12/07), and Andrew(8/18/08)

Old 12-12-2010, 05:13 PM

Lack of sleep is going to affect you negatively in a lot of ways, including being able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

If you can get away to take a nap, even if the only available place is your car, I'd do it. When ds was about 1yo, dh was working full time and going to school 4 nights a week. He used to drive to the school, set his alarm clock, and sleep before class just to stay functional.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
Old 12-12-2010, 07:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotherWhimsey View Post

Honestly, you just kinda hit rock bottom at some point, become resigned, and get used to it. It's exhausting no matter what, but eventually you do get used to it and it just becomes your normal. It's very exhausting though and I'm not sure it ever gets less exhausting. :hugs

Exactly.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 12-12-2010, 11:48 PM

I just bounce repeatedly off rock bottom. My DD has Autism Disorder and a sleep disorder along with that. Hasn't slept through the night her whole life and she's 5 in <3 weeks. My son is 18 months, teething and so on. It's a lot of stress, and especially when we're all sick and nobody is sleeping, it can get the better of me. There are times when I break down and cry uncontrollably in my husband's arms. He's learned I need to do this periodically and no longer tries to "fix" things. Just lets me cry until I'm done, hands me a tissue and fixes me a drink.

Try to get somebody to come in during the morning or afternoon to let you nap. Sleep in on weekends and let your husband be the one to get up with the kids. Lately the thing that's kept me going is the naps I work in when DD is at preschool. I've wrangled DS's morning nap so it coincides and I take a snooze on the couch. I also make DH let me sleep in one day on the weekends. It doesn't repair all the damage but it does give me enough juice to cope for a few more hours.

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

Old 12-17-2010, 05:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I have no advice, but hug2.gif

I am just starting this journey myself, but I have nothing compared to what you're dealing with.

Lucky wife to DH and mom to DS (10/02) and sweet DD (7/08) and DSD (3/93) and assorted animalia

User Tag List