Explaining autism evaluation to 5yo - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-03-2011, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 5yo DS has an evaluation at the autism center on Wednesday. I'm wondering how to discuss this with him; how much should I tell him, and how? I'm not sure if I should call it a doctor's appointment, or what. I'd like for him to have some vague idea of what's going to happen. Just wondering how others have handled it. Thanks!

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 jumpers.gif

#2 of 6 Old 01-03-2011, 11:36 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

I don't have an autistic DC, but I did have one of my dd's go through an eval for some educational issues. I told her, at the psych's suggestion, that she was going to meet with someone to figure out what way she learned best. You might frame it something like that.

hth

Mamatreehugger.gif to two girl beans, Feb 2001hearts.gif and Nov 2003coolshine.gif . DH geek.gif, and two crazydog2.gifdog2.gif . Running on biodiesel since 2004!

"All you fascists are bound to lose" — Woody Guthrie
#3 of 6 Old 01-03-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanma View Post

I don't have an autistic DC, but I did have one of my dd's go through an eval for some educational issues. I told her, at the psych's suggestion, that she was going to meet with someone to figure out what way she learned best. You might frame it something like that.

hth

That is what I do/did with ds' evaluation for behavioral problems. We told him something like--the Dr. needs to know how his brain works but since she cannot see ds brain, she has to ask him questions to understand how his brain works. Once she knows how his brain works we will know how to help him with "the crazies" (being hyper--ds' words) so it will be easier for him to behave at school.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#4 of 6 Old 01-03-2011, 03:15 PM

We told DS that he was getting a brain check up. We explained that Dr. J does his body check-up to make sure his body is working okay and Dr. A would do a brain check-up to make sure his brain was okay. We then explained that she would ask him questions and work some puzzles with him.

When we started speech, we explained that Dr. A thought he should work on his talking.  He is a very good reader, so we explained that some kids in his class need to work on reading, but are very good talkers. We told him that he is a very good reader, but he needs to work on talking more. 

#5 of 6 Old 01-03-2011, 06:50 PM

Lean Bean said:  we're going to meet someone who will help you to know how you learn best.  She (he) will probably play some games with you and ask you some questions.

The eval rooms are set up to be fun and inviting.  Kids usually enjoy the interaction and environment.

Natalia
Easier, healthier living for Uniquely Magnificent Kids and Their Mothers
#6 of 6 Old 01-05-2011, 04:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the replies! They were very helpful. I told DS the doctors were going to ask him some questions to see how his brain works, which made sense to him.

A, wife to R and mom to 3 boys: D~ 10/05, J~ 8/07, and B~ 12/09 jumpers.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page