SPD and cavites... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-26-2011, 07:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

So, I feel terrible, but I can see that DS who is 2.5 has a cavity in one of of his molars.  Part of the reason for this is because it is nearly impossible to brush his teeth due to his sensory issues.  We have tried *every* last tactic, worked with an OT, etc, and in the end, resorted to DH and I holding him down to brush his teeth two or three times a week.  Yes, horrible, I know.  We didn't do it more because it was so traumatic for him, and our OT said he probably wouldn't get cavities because he eats very little fruit/sugar.  Our fear was that if we didn't force him to let us brush them, he'd end up with cavities which would be even more traumatic to have filled.  Anyhow, here we are now.  I am just wondering if anyone has experience with this and can offer some advice.  Sigh...

**cannot figure out how to edit title, but sorry for spelling error!**

#2 of 9 Old 01-26-2011, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD has SPD- and we have had no cavities at 5 yrs old. She HATES brusing her teeth and is very very resistant to brushing in the back. She ,too, has had OT. We brush daily and she has gotten better about it over time.

Talk to your Dentist....part of 'cavity frequency' is genetic and due to the make up of your saliva and enamel (per our dentist). A small part is diet- but a small child is unlikely to drink a lot of soda or candy (which can cause decay)...so cavities at that age are likely due to individual makeup of teeth/mouth chemistry.

DH and I both have had very few cavities so it is likely our daughters will be the same unless they pick up really bad oral hygeine or eating habits.

I would ask your dentist about sealants and/or flouride treatment (if you are OK with it).  Those would help combat the low brushing frequency and reduce further cavities.

How about kid-friendly mouth wash? I know around age 3- my DD learned to swish and spit vs swallowing. (that is abotu when we switched from baby toothpaste to toddler toothpaste). That will help too. Our OT also *tried* to teach our DD to chew gum (sugar free actually is GOOD at reducing cavities), but we have never had luck with her not swallowing it.

I would get a pediatric dentist visit in (instead of your OT giving dental advice) and get a plan in place. Our peds detists was GREAT w/ my SPD DD and allowed her to 'skip' the tooth polishing portion (she was terrified of the polisher) and they were very very used to kids w/ SNs.

#3 of 9 Old 01-26-2011, 10:41 AM

Perhaps you should look into having his teeth sealed. It is pricey, but it may be the best option since brushing is such a challenge.

Our children inherited dh's weak enamel (dh had his teeth sealed as a teen), and dd's teeth were worse than ds' though she was two years younger, ebf, had had less juice than the small amount I had given ds at that age, and we had been more diligent in brushing her teeth. Dd had to have her teeth fixed in the hospital.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#4 of 9 Old 01-29-2011, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies!  I am hoping we can just nurse this along for a while so that we can wait to get it filled.  I feel like even six months from now, DS may be much better to understand and be a little more calm, etc.  He is making great progress with the SPD and also his receptive language, so we'll see.  Of course, ped dentist receptionist tells me on the phone that I absolutely cannot wait, that cavities are like a bacteria that will spread and spread and overcome my poor boy's mouth.  I don't really buy that will happen anytime soon as it is very tiny.

#5 of 9 Old 01-30-2011, 07:48 PM

We also have brushing issues and now keep a toothbrush next to the bathtub.  I let ds chew on it in there- better than nothing.  Also, he likes to chew on a washcloth, so that helps a bit as well.  No other suggestions beyond that- but when ds2 had cavities filled, he had to be completely put under.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#6 of 9 Old 01-30-2011, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post  Of course, ped dentist receptionist tells me on the phone that I absolutely cannot wait, that cavities are like a bacteria that will spread and spread and overcome my poor boy's mouth.  I don't really buy that will happen anytime soon as it is very tiny.

I don't know how fast the cavity would develop but cavities don't directly cause other cavities.

What's a Cavity?

Cavities/tooth decay - MayoClinic.com

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#7 of 9 Old 01-30-2011, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Yes, sorry, she just meant the one cavity was going to rot ....she was just being so dramatic about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post  Of course, ped dentist receptionist tells me on the phone that I absolutely cannot wait, that cavities are like a bacteria that will spread and spread and overcome my poor boy's mouth.  I don't really buy that will happen anytime soon as it is very tiny.

I don't know how fast the cavity would develop but cavities don't directly cause other cavities.

What's a Cavity?

#8 of 9 Old 01-31-2011, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post

Yes, sorry, she just meant the one cavity was going to rot ....she was just being so dramatic about it!

Quote:

Quote:

What's a Cavity?

My dd is getting two cavities filled this week. One was a spot the Dr. had been watching for nearly two years and another is new since her last appointment 6 months ago. The Dr. recommended getting it done sooner rather than later but did not say "omgyoumustdoitnoworallherteethwillrotoutofherhead!"

#9 of 9 Old 01-31-2011, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Lol!  That is definitely what we got! 

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by APToddlerMama View Post

Quote:

Quote:

What's a Cavity?

My dd is getting two cavities filled this week. One was a spot the Dr. had been watching for nearly two years and another is new since her last appointment 6 months ago. The Dr. recommended getting it done sooner rather than later but did not say "omgyoumustdoitnoworallherteethwillrotoutofherhead!"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page