Possible ADD in 7 year old DD - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-26-2011, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

so I got a call from daughters teacher yesterday to tell me my daughters "focus" issues have now started to effect her schoolwork and I should probably get a pediatrician involved

I was thrown for a loop because I never thought of her as being ADD just kind of spacey, and you need to repeat requests to her, she is going next week for a consultation with the pediatrician

question 1- how do I explain this doctor visit?? I dont want her to think there is something wrong with her or I am upset with her...

I did tell her she has to try to focus more at school and she did say she tends to daydream

she is always running late and has had more focus issues lately but not like she cant focus,but after that phone call I went online and looked at symptoms of ADD and I can answer yes to all those questions they ask so I feel she is either is ADD or is borderline at least

question 2- what exercises or foods or supplements have you found helpful for kids with focus issues or ADD??

thanks mamas!!

~Susan
widowed from Marc Nov. '09(love you more babe) mom to Sophia (9) Emma (8) Lily (5) :

#2 of 6 Old 01-26-2011, 09:07 AM

Hugs momma.  I wish I had advice for you, but I am in almost the exact same situation as you with my oldest daughter (although she is younger).  It has become a serious problem at home, but her preschool hasn't mentioned it to me yet.  I am waiting for them to talk to me, because I don't want to push for her to be labeled or treated differently, and I don't know if that is a great way to go about it.  I am subbing to this thread in hopes that some very wise parents will have advice for you.

#3 of 6 Old 01-26-2011, 10:10 AM

I would research ADD inattentive. The recommended treatments for all types is to examine their diet for allergies and sensitivities, medication, behavior modification/therapy, and exercise (not that you have to do anything in particular). I recall reading that persons with ADD are low in Omega-3s; ds takes the Dr.Sears supplement for that as he would not take any actual fish oil.

As for explaining the visit, is she likely to think it is something bad? I'd go with "your teacher thinks X, I've noticed it too, so we're going to talk to your doctor and see what he thinks; then we'll figure out the best way to help you." Ds isn't particularly sensitive, especially when it is framed in terms of wanting to help him.

goaskmom.com has a lot of information and articles on ADD. If you subscribe to their free newsletter you have access to their organizational charts.

ADHD-It Takes All Kinds

http://ezinearticles.com/?Treating-Inattentive-ADD-and-Inattentive-ADHD---Alternative-Treatments&id=2440179

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#4 of 6 Old 01-26-2011, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

thank you Emmeline-

yes my DD would think it was something bad if I told her we were going to talk about her focus, mainly because she is extra sensitive and doenst want to be "different" and she  is always afraid her older sister will make fun of her greensad.gif

~Susan
widowed from Marc Nov. '09(love you more babe) mom to Sophia (9) Emma (8) Lily (5) :

#5 of 6 Old 01-26-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbound25 View Post

thank you Emmeline-

yes my DD would think it was something bad if I told her we were going to talk about her focus, mainly because she is extra sensitive and doenst want to be "different" and she  is always afraid her older sister will make fun of her greensad.gif

Perhaps it would be less personal if you focus on the biology of it?

• Brain structure.
  • The function of chemicals in the brain that help regulate attention and activity (dopamine and norepinephrine).
  • Differences in function of some of the areas of the brain that affect attention and impulse control.

And how many other children have it http://add.about.com/od/adhdthebasics/a/prevalenceADHD.htm

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#6 of 6 Old 01-26-2011, 02:46 PM

When ds was dx, he had a neuropsych exam, which is similar to an iq test.   When you take your dd to the ped., they will likely refer you for such test and rule out other possibilities.  I would tell her it is a healthy checkup and that doctors can sometimes have ideas or strategies to help with school.  Let the dr. know that she is sensitive about the subject when you schedule the appointment.  Our psychologist referred us to this website: www.chadd.org to answer questions and get strategies from helping ds in school.  

Nonmedicated approaches can be very effective for some kids (although some need meds) and they often involve behavior modification of the child, parent, and teacher.  We have found with ds, that he is really motivated by rewards, which can be relatively simple, like at home playing dsi or wii and at school getting to eat with teacher at lunch or pokemon cards. Our psych also recommend counseling, which is something we may consider in the future.  Regarding food, try to eat healthy, but do not become too restrictive.  Also make sure that your dd gets good sleep.  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page