Help really needed, totally lost. How do I help my son? ADD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-04-2011, 03:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

hello, i'm having a bit of a struggling focussing my thoughts into anything productive, feeling a bit jumbled up so bare with me while i figure out what i'm asking..

I always *knew* (mother's instinct) that my son had ADD or dyslexia, so i pulled him out of his school as he was getting lost in a sea of children (37 in his class and ONE teacher). i've put him in a private independant school where he now has only 7 classmates which is brilliant.

This has meant the teachers actually had the time to spend with my son and pick up on what I had suspected.

yesterday I had a meeting with them, they'd been assessing him (SENCO) in-school and have given the diagnosis of ADD with possible dylexia but are holding off giving him that diagnosis just yet as it may just be his attention issues and lackof proper schooling up until last sept that have caused his writing issues, though he does write number and letters backwards rather a lot and seems to have spacial issues (though i dont know what that means??)

I asked them during the meeting whether i need to see our GP (family doctor) and they said "no we'll deal with him here and assess him bi-monthly, if he had ADHD, the hyperactivity aspect too then yes you'd have to see you GP"

but I'm wondering if I should really see a GP? and they've not given me any details on exactly how im supposed to parent a child with ADD?? i want to help him reach his very best, he is soooo good at science it's amazing the things he understands, at 4 years old he could tell you why a bird on an eletricity pylon doesn't get zapped, or what gravity is etc he could just never transform this knowledge or his ideas into written word, now he is 6 and such a daydreamer, thinking about circuit boards or rock formations but never focussing or paying attention *sigh*

help? i dont really know what help i need, im soooo very worried that i will fail my little boy, that he'll grow up and resent not being given the tools he so desperately needs to focus and achieve.  He is so emotionally mature, shows empathy well beyond his years and truly loves and cares for his fellow man. he's a beautiful lad and i want to do the best but don't have a clue where to start???

I'm just so glad that you mamas are here!

heartbeat.gifmy DH DS (5) angel1.gifx2... rainbow1284.gif DD 8th oct!! 9lb 5oz  Madison Akina-Mae - i wear her, feed her, co-sleep and hold her just about every minute of the day DS is my little scientist and the most loving person i ever did meet.  I'm lucky and I know it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2011, 07:29 AM

It sounds like you're in the UK? I think in the US the ADHD diagnosis cannot be done by the school--it has to be a doctor or psychologist though of course the schools are involved. I'm sorry I don't know more--I'm beginning this journey myself--our school has just requested my permission to evaluate my DS (who sounds a lot like yours) for ADHD. My DS is already receiving other services for speech and sensory issues...

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
Old 02-04-2011, 09:05 AM

Perhaps you could link to this post on the UK board; you might get some people who are more familiar with your school/healthcare system.

That said, I would not rely completely on the school if you don't have too. Do what you think is necessary to help your ds. It seems like he may have ADHD innatentive type in addition to the possible LD.

goaskmom.com -- Inattentive Type ADHD

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."

User Tag List