Thought a fresh set of eyes would help me with dd - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-08-2011, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My dd is 5. She has issues that are yet undiagnosed. She has anxiety and sensory issues.

We do PCIT and her developmental pediatrician and therapist says I'm doing everything perfectly. We did OT from 2 years to 3.5 years. She was in Speech therapy from  10 months until over 2 years.

• Delayed speech- Didn't utter a sound until she was over 2. No babbling, cooing or laughing out loud.
  • Horrible sleeper- She goes down at 8pm with a nature sounds lullaby CD and tosses and turns until at least 11pm every night. Last week it was 4:45am the last time she came in our room, I gave up and out her in bed with me.
  • Painfully shy- doesn't like people talking to her or commenting on her outfit or hair bows.
  • At preschool last year she didn't talk to anyone, kids or teachers and wouldn't participate in circle time. This year is better.
  • Tantrums- If she doesn't get her way or you tell her no she throws huge tantrums. She hits and kicks and is very destructive. She has no control when she has the tantrums, there is no reasoning with her. It is almost like she isn't in there. It is pure rage. She screams like she is possessed. These fits are set off by me asking her to pick up her shoes or coat. She has chores as does everyone in our family and she would rather throw a huge hours long tantrum than do them. She began this when she was 1yo.
  • Scared of loud noises- sweeper, firetruck, etc.
  • Scared of irrational things- the current one is running out of gas.
  • Has no currency as far as incentives and treats or loosing items that are special to her.
  • Horrific birth- she and I both are lucky to be alive. Her developmental pediatrician attributes some of her issues to her birth and not being able to bond with me for a while afterwards as I was in a coma.

We go back to her developmental pediatrician on Friday. I am losing my marbles dealing with her.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Mom to 3
#2 of 3 Old 02-08-2011, 08:15 AM

This is just one small part of what you are dealing with, but if you are interested in doing some healing work with her around her birth and postpartum time you might look to Wendy Ann McCarty at http://www.wondrousbeginnings.com/

I am sorry it is so difficult.

Mama to DD-9, DSS-11, happily married and living with 1dog, 1 cat, 7 chickens, and 2 ducks....expecting 03/11
#3 of 3 Old 02-08-2011, 09:26 AM

Have you tried anything to deal with the sleep issue? Such as a sleep study? Melatonin (there is a "regular" and time release version)"?

We've had to deal with the horrid tantrums, social issues, "no currency" problem, and difficulty getting to sleep, with ds. His current diagnosis is ADHD w/disturbances of emotion and conduct. He does have some sensory issues as well. We have an appointment with a DP next week; one thing I am hoping to get from it is a definitive opinion on Asperger's.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page