Pee problems - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-08-2011, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So a couple of weeks ago L was in the backseat of the car and started crying and moaning because he had a really bad stomach ache. This isn't an unusual thing for him, so I told him I was sorry and we'd be home really soon and I'd see what I could do. He was quiet for a few minutes and then starts just screaming and says that his stomach hurts really bad because his pee can't come out. Eventually he was able to pee (he's still in a diaper) and everything resolved. It concerned me because he has bowel issues and sometimes bowel and bladder go hand in hand, but that was a single incident.

Then tonight he was asleep and was extremely restless and kept waking up and crying for a bit and then he'd settle down for a couple of minutes and do it all over again. Finally he sat up and said, "I can't go!" and I thought he was just dreaming. I asked if his pee was stuck and he nodded emphatically and laid back down. He says it's still stuck and his diaper is dry. I'm sure at some point it'll eventually come out on its own, but does this sound like his bladder may becoming affected? Can they tell any way other than a VCUG? If it's an intermittent issue would testing pick it up for sure? Is it ever normal for little boys (he's 4) to just not be able to pee? He's not potty trained and we've wondered if he is capable of it because he's very verbal and aware of his body and all that. He understands the theory, he's just never been able to manage it.

I feel like kicking something. This disease takes so much, can't it just leave a little bit of dignity and let the kid take a piss when he needs to?

User Tag List