How do I get DS evaluated? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-14-2011, 05:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

He is 5 and in K on an IEP. He receives OT and speech twice a week. They are also currently evaluating him for ADHD.

DH and I have decided we'd like an independent evaluation to take place and not rely on the school--especially since we disagree with the ADHD label--he simply doesn't have most of the behaviors on the checklist and I feel like they are pushing this because it's easier for them.

He does have speech problems and he definitely has a lot of sensory-seeking behavior, spins his head around when sitting too long, falls out of his chair because he is making it lean, is never content to stand solid on two feet if there's something else he could be doing with his feet...

Who am I looking for? A psychologist? An independent OT? Should I just ask my pediatrician?

We are fortunate to be in the Boston area so once we figure out what kind of person we're looking for, we should be able to find one.

And once we have this evaluation, how do I share it with the school?

Mom to DS 5/05 and DD 9/08
#2 of 7 Old 02-14-2011, 06:01 AM

Boston Children's Hospital probably has a behavioral department that specializes in doing ADHD evaluations.  I'd start there.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#3 of 7 Old 02-14-2011, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

thanks. I guess I don't want to just evaluate him for ADHD but also find out what his issue really is--SPD or what. Could any one person do that sort of diagnosis?

#4 of 7 Old 02-14-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qestia View Post

thanks. I guess I don't want to just evaluate him for ADHD but also find out what his issue really is--SPD or what. Could any one person do that sort of diagnosis?

A developmental-behavioral pediatrician, which is likely what is available at the hospital the pp mentioned. I don't think SPD is a separate diagnosis so those issues would be included as part of another diagnosis.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#5 of 7 Old 02-14-2011, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

thank you--I think that's exactly what I was looking for.

#6 of 7 Old 02-14-2011, 03:03 PM

My ds was dxed by a psychologist.  She gave him a series of exams called a neuropsych exam. A large part of the exam was an IQ test.  We were referred by ds' neurologist.  The psychologist recommended OT and the neurologist referred us.  You could ask your pediatrician for a referral because they may work with other peds or psychologists.  

#7 of 7 Old 02-15-2011, 04:43 AM

SPD isn't recognized (yet) as a stand alone diagnosis.  There is a lot of controversy around SPD and whether or not it's a "real" disorder.  I'd request an appointment with a developmental pediatrician.  Don't be shocked at the wait time.  Depending on the area, it could be from 3-24 months.  However, once you are established with a doctor, it's a lot easier.  Start with a DP and then they will refer you as necessary.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page