Moms of Aspies- have you watched House MD lately? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-15-2011, 03:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD was recently diagnosed with Aspergers and SPD.  My DH and I watch the show House MD every week.  This season, a new character was introduced.  Her name is Martha Masters, she's a quirky socially awkward brainiac who's HUGE on honesty and doing what's morally right.  Before we even suspected Asperger's, my DH had commented on how he felt like the character was our DD in the future.  I agreed- I could totally see that.

My DD was diagnosed with Asperger's about a week ago, and tonight after watching the show I googled "Martha Masters Aspergers" and got a ton of results.  Apparently many people see her the same way (as does the actress that portrays her!). 

I just thought it was neat to see an Aspie on TV.  We're light on television here, with the exception of that, so I don't know if Asperger's is a common thing to see on TV, but like I said, I thought it was neat.

rainbow1284.gif Mama to DD1 (6) DD2 (4) and DD3 (1)
#2 of 11 Old 02-15-2011, 07:54 AM

There's a character on the TV Show Bones - Temperance Brennan - who really seems textbook Aspie to me. She's awesome. Very intent on her work as a forensic anthropologist, socially awkward, odd humor, etc.

Weary SuperMama superhero.gifto my  amazing neurodiverse 6 y.o. DD hearts.gif and to my on-the-go neurotypical 3 y.o. DS wild.gif

#3 of 11 Old 02-15-2011, 10:33 AM

I like both of those shows. I do agree that the House character is aspergers.  I never thought that about Dr. Brennan though.

#4 of 11 Old 02-15-2011, 11:22 AM

I dont watch House regularly, but I do watch Bones and Dr. Brennan  very much seems to be modeled after Aspergers-type ( I taught Spec. Ed for years).

She will often make comments on not getting jokes, asking if someone is sarcastic, not able to navigate social situations, mentioning voice and words not matching, attempting to get Dr. Sweets to teach her to read people better, her focus on her work, difficulty navigating relationships/human emotions, very logical, rule/procedure orientated, firm decision maker,intelligent, obsessive on certain topics, etc.

It makes a good point that many 'quirky' people could/do have ASD traits and can go on to be very very successful career orientated people. I think she is a great role model.

Actually - adults with Aspergers often ARE very successful in what they do careerwise because of the tendency of Asperger characteristics to have vast knowledge of certain topics, adherence to rules/directions,dedication to work ethics, and determination to 'complete/finish/find answers' etc to a task.

Not all people will 'fit' perfectly into all ASD behavioral categories for an Aspergers qualification so any TV model will be inaccurate to some degree in portraying any particular stereotype. But it is nice to see positive characters that have 'quirks'.

#5 of 11 Old 02-15-2011, 11:38 AM

Monk, from the now-defunct show, Monk, is also an Aspie, as is Detective Goren from Law & Order Criminal Intent (Vincent D'Onofrio).  Aspies are quite cool!

#6 of 11 Old 02-15-2011, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Was Monk Aspie?  I thought it was just OCD?  I didn't know Goren was but I remember an episode when he identified one to Eames.  And Bones is bigtime Aspie!  She and I are totally different but somehow I still feel like she could be my best friend.  Weird.

Bring back the old MDC
#7 of 11 Old 02-18-2011, 08:50 PM

Most of the people I've told about DS having Aspergers are only aware of it through a character on a show called "Parenthood". I haven't seen it yet, but I'm thankful that the general population can have at least a minor understanding of what some of us live with every day.

Mom to one DS gifted/AS age 4superhero.gif
#8 of 11 Old 02-19-2011, 08:00 AM

And Sheldon Cooper on Big Bang Theory. It isn't an "official" part of his character the way I think it is on Parenthood but it is something the actor researched in play him.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#9 of 11 Old 02-19-2011, 08:39 AM

I haven't ever watched House, but I love Parenthood. I see so much of my son in Max. 

Stephenie, Wife to Nick partners.gif 9/3/05 Mama to Keagan treehugger.gif autismribbon.gif 4/12/07, Eden dust.gifhomebirth.jpg3/29/09  3rdtri.gif Someone new coming in July and two angels 6/06 and 10/10. Check out my blog! blogging.jpg

#10 of 11 Old 02-25-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The artist View Post

Most of the people I've told about DS having Aspergers are only aware of it through a character on a show called "Parenthood". I haven't seen it yet, but I'm thankful that the general population can have at least a minor understanding of what some of us live with every day.

I don't have an Aspie kid, but LOVE the show Parenthood. You can catch it on Hulu! :) Max is my favorite character (the Aspie boy).

Stay at home mommy to Jack, Ben, Marjorri and baby due Dec 2014!
Married to my sweetheart since 2007!
#11 of 11 Old 02-25-2011, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityMom View Post

My DD was recently diagnosed with Aspergers and SPD.  My DH and I watch the show House MD every week.  This season, a new character was introduced.  Her name is Martha Masters, she's a quirky socially awkward brainiac who's HUGE on honesty and doing what's morally right.  Before we even suspected Asperger's, my DH had commented on how he felt like the character was our DD in the future.  I agreed- I could totally see that.

My DD was diagnosed with Asperger's about a week ago, and tonight after watching the show I googled "Martha Masters Aspergers" and got a ton of results.  Apparently many people see her the same way (as does the actress that portrays her!). 

I just thought it was neat to see an Aspie on TV.  We're light on television here, with the exception of that, so I don't know if Asperger's is a common thing to see on TV, but like I said, I thought it was neat.

Is Martha the new intern?

Stay at home mommy to Jack, Ben, Marjorri and baby due Dec 2014!
Married to my sweetheart since 2007!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page