Birthday Gifts? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-03-2011, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Now that we have a diagnosis, I feel like we should get Jack something that may "help" him in a way, for his birthday.

I was thinking of an indoor trampoline, like this one. I thought it might be a good idea, seeing as he likes to jump around, on his bed and the couch. Most of the toys that he has now, he doesn't really play with...he kinda throws things around. When you buy your little one gifts, do you take into account their special needs?

Stay at home mommy to Jack, Ben, Marjorri and baby due Dec 2014!
Married to my sweetheart since 2007!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 03-03-2011, 03:53 PM

Yes I do buy things based on some of his deficits.  Like he needed some help wth fine motor so he got a DSi and that helped tons.  We have a large outdoor trampoline and we got it for all the kids AND also to help with our SN kiddo that has some low tone issues.  He has gotten tons of Signing Time DVDs for birthdays/christmas but  I do try to not make everything about helping him develop specific skills.

The artist likes this.

Cassie, mom to Alex(4/7/05), Aidan(7/12/07), and Andrew(8/18/08)

#3 of 9 Old 03-03-2011, 06:13 PM

I don't have a SN child, but I happened upon this post from the main page. I will say, however, that I buy DS gifts based on his strengths and weaknesses in, as well as his interests in general. If your child loves to jump, regardless of the reasons, I think an indoor trampoline is a fantastic gift. DS has one and he loves it. :)

Kat, wife to and mommy to (Dec 07).
#4 of 9 Old 03-03-2011, 06:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittykat2481 View Post

I don't have a SN child, but I happened upon this post from the main page. I will say, however, that I buy DS gifts based on his strengths and weaknesses in, as well as his interests in general. If your child loves to jump, regardless of the reasons, I think an indoor trampoline is a fantastic gift. DS has one and he loves it. :)

Yes. My son is a jumper and  climber! :)

Stay at home mommy to Jack, Ben, Marjorri and baby due Dec 2014!
Married to my sweetheart since 2007!
#5 of 9 Old 03-03-2011, 10:41 PM

If you have a space where he can use the trampoline safely go for it!   I also buy my kids gifts based somewhat on thier needs. I try to find something that they would enjoy but will also be helpful KWIM?

An indoor swing, giant bean bag, soft climbing toys like in preschools, spinning seat, are all good for sensory seeking kids.  

#6 of 9 Old 03-03-2011, 11:41 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)

Like the PP i saw this on the main page.  My son isn't SN but I also take his likes/dislikes, needs and wants into consideration when picking out gifts for him.

When DS was probably age 3-6 or so we had a mini trampoline similiar to that one (no handle) and he didnt use it.  He did use the full size one in the neighbors yard as well as the inflatable stuff.  Who knows? 

Mom to J and never-ending , 0/2014 items decluttered, 0/52 crafts crafts completed  crochetsmilie.gif homeschool.gif  reading.gif  modifiedartist.gif

Seeking zen in 2014.  Working on journaling and finding peace this year.  Spending my free time taking J to swimteam

#7 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

my oldest has always had sensory issues.  we just moved to a place big enough to finally buy one and she loves it.  we have very long winters and it really helps.  even my 13m gets on it and 

'bounces" - bends at knees, but no real "air time"

we just went with the plain exercise one that was $25.  was too afraid the kids would hit their teeth on the handle bar.

mom to 14yr dd and 4yr dd
#8 of 9 Old 03-04-2011, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~cassie View Post

Yes I do buy things based on some of his deficits.  Like he needed some help wth fine motor so he got a DSi and that helped tons.  We have a large outdoor trampoline and we got it for all the kids AND also to help with our SN kiddo that has some low tone issues.  He has gotten tons of Signing Time DVDs for birthdays/christmas but  I do try to not make everything about helping him develop specific skills.

I think it's important to consider toys that can help with weak areas, but there is so much more to little ones than what's not "right". I think it's pretty true that over time people tend to enjoy things that they derive pleasure from, and accomplishment is usually pleasurable, so we tend to enjoy what we're good at. I would find it really frustrating to only get gifts/toys that focused on my deficits, and have a closet full of stuff that was more hard work than play. But a trampoline for a kid is a great idea - any kid - typical or atypical! Great idea Mom!

Mom to one DS gifted/AS age 4superhero.gif
#9 of 9 Old 03-05-2011, 06:32 AM

My son has ASD and an indoor trampoline and he loves it. It provides great sensory input and helps him get energy out. If you have hardwood floors, I would suggest putting a foam mat underneath it to protect the wood - we found this out the hard way. redface.gif

autismribbon.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page