Sandals/sneaker sandals to fit over orthotics? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 03-16-2011, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My daughter (2 1/2) wears SMO orthotics, and with the summer coming up, I want to get her something breathable. Most of these types of shoes that I've seen don't have a removable liner, which would help with the fit. Does anyone have experience and  have a specific shoe to recommend?

#2 of 15 Old 03-17-2011, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Subbing because I'm clueless about what type of shoe DS will fit into as well.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#3 of 15 Old 03-17-2011, 12:32 PM

My DD wears AFO's (DAFO 3.5) and we use New Balance runners and for sandals, we are using crocs b/c they are wide enough to fit the AFOs.

Now there are some suggestions from the DAFO site:

Answer 2

Hatchbacks

Keeping Pace

Markell

Stride right

Vans

#4 of 15 Old 03-18-2011, 10:39 PM

We had great luck getting http://www.striderite.com/store/SiteController/striderite/productdetails?catId=cat1530402SR&productId=8-100834&skuId=***8********4115531*W090&stockNumber=4115531&showDefaultOption=true

this sandle from stride rite to work with ds1's SMO's.  We bought this style until they didn't make it in his size anymore.   For tennis shoes, I found skechers worked best.

#5 of 15 Old 03-19-2011, 11:23 AM

New Balence, about 1.5 sizes bigger in wide worked great for us.

#6 of 15 Old 03-28-2011, 02:07 PM

I wonder if Keens would work? (newport style)

New Balance also actually has a "sneaker style" waterproof "sandal" that may work.

mrsfru

#7 of 15 Old 03-31-2011, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I checked out some of the brands. Keens, especially newport style, aren't the best choice because they don't look like they open wide. I couldn't tell if there is a removable liner. My daughter's PT doesn't like the giant rubber toe in front. She says it's like an obstacle for unsteady walkers.

Queencarr, I took a look at your link. The sandals are cute, but I'm trying to imagine how they fit over SMOs. It looks like it would be hard... no removable liner to make more room, and they don't open wide.

In the end I remembered that a friend used to have sandal sneaker for her son last year, and she told me she got them at Target. I took a look online and found these.

They only have them in girl styles, but luckily that's what I needed anyway. :)

http://www.target.com/gp/redirect.html/ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001?URL=/gp/detail.html%3Fasin%3DB003ZYYTAU%26AFID%3DFroogle_df%26LNM%3D%7CB003ZYYTAU%26CPNG%3D&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=B003ZYYTAU

I just received them and they slide onto the orthotics like butter! They have a removable liner, and the two straps on the top make for a large opening. The back has a slit for ventilation, but isn't totally open (it has a "threshhold" up from the sole.)

Hope this helps someone!

#8 of 15 Old 04-01-2011, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hmm, i never found a sandal that fit the orthotics for my dd. We just looked for the chunkier sneakers and tried the orthotics in them at the store.
#9 of 15 Old 04-07-2011, 10:50 AM

Look for something like this: http://www.striderite.com/store/SiteController/striderite/productdetails?catId=cat1530401SR&productId=8-126095&skuId=***8********CG38101*W110&stockNumber=CG38101&showDefaultOption=true

Or this: http://www.striderite.com/store/SiteController/striderite/productdetails?catId=cat1530401SR&productId=8-125495&skuId=***8********CG37994*M090&stockNumber=CG37994&showDefaultOption=true

You might have to them to a shoe cobbler to make additional adjustments. We have gone round and round trying to find sandals to go over Gabrielle's braces. Sandals are much harder to find than tennis shoes. Don't get me started on dress shoes. Those are impossible.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#10 of 15 Old 04-07-2011, 10:55 AM

You can also look for water sandals similar to this:

http://www.zappos.com/nike-kids-sunray-adjust-4-infant-toddler-obsidian-white-team-orange?zlfid=111

They are neoprene and stretch.  The problem we had though with the ankle strap is, Gabrielle has a hinged AFO on her right foot.  The hinge causes the ankle strap to pop off.  Her KAFO on her left leg isn't a problem.

Anne, Mama to Conner 2/27/04 blahblah.gif  Gabrielle 2/6/06 W/LMC-TCS, Neurogenic Bladder, AFO & KAFO wearer, Neurogenic Bowel energy.gif & Delaney 5/12/08 mischievous.gif &  Beethoven cat.gif& Gizmo cat.gif

#11 of 15 Old 04-08-2011, 06:43 AM

Can I ask a somewhat stupid question?  This will be our first full summer with orthotics - when you use them with sandals, do you still put socks on your child?  Or do they wear them with bare feet?  DS has only worn sneakers with his, so we have always used socks.  But now that the warmer weather is here, I've been wondering :)

#12 of 15 Old 04-08-2011, 03:43 PM

Gabrielle always wears socks. She has no feeling below the knee on her left leg. To prevent injury to her skin, she always wears a sock with her braces.

#13 of 15 Old 04-10-2011, 01:00 PM

we were told that its dangerous to wear AFOs without socks. even with sandals, my son wears socks at al times.

Mom to 5 wonderful kids (9, 6, 4, 2 and 0), 1 adopted through foster care.

#14 of 15 Old 04-10-2011, 01:08 PM

You can ask the manufauctor to add in extra air holes on the AFOs themselves too if they get really hot over the summer.

#15 of 15 Old 06-02-2011, 07:58 AM

Hi, We have always cut the toe out of the knee high socks. This way they feel like they have a true sandal on and their little toes get to feel the summer breeze. Also, Croc's ( www.crocs.com ) are great for summer time and fit right over afo's. Hope this helps you to enjoy the summer weather.

Tags
Special Kids Need Special Parents A Resource For Parents Of Children With Special Needs

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page