Fragile x or Timothy syndrome? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-28-2011, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

Does anyone here have a child with either of these? I want to have Corbin tested for both, he has every single symptom of fragile x except we don't know if he has any heart issues..I started googling because he has pectus excavatum, syndactyly and autism so I figured they might all be connected...

I'm wondering where we go from here, if he does have it how likely are his siblings to have it? 

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#2 of 7 Old 03-28-2011, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Big hus to you!! I was tested for this during my first pregnancy, thanks to a lengthy family history of autism(almost all the boys in my immediate family). I tested negative for Fragile X. But, given family history, and other details, the geneticist is almost positive it's in my family; to the point where she encouraged me to tell any of my sisters who plan on getting pg to get tested. I'm pretty sure my brother, niece, and nephews(2 out of 3 at least), have Fragile X.  I would go to a geneticist and see what they find, good luck!

treehugger.gifhippie.gifhomeschool.gifnamaste.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcrochetsmilie.gifblahblah.gifenergy.gifgoorganic.jpggd.gifteapot2.GIFbftoddler.giffamilybed2.gif

#3 of 7 Old 03-28-2011, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, we already know that he's autistic so it's not a big shock or anything..just makes me nervous because I have a 5 month old and I don't want him to have it too. Kwim?

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#4 of 7 Old 03-28-2011, 09:35 AM

My DD was tested for this, we see the genetics on the 11th for the results. I dont have much to help you with...sorry.

#5 of 7 Old 03-28-2011, 02:03 PM

My 5.5 yr old has autism, syndactaly, congenital curly toe syndrome, a heart problem, and several other issues...and does NOT have fragile X.  I know it's not much...but many kids have similar combos, but don't have fragile X (at the least, not dx'able by todays testing/standards).

GL!  It's all so confusing sometimes!

mrsfru

#6 of 7 Old 03-28-2011, 06:49 PM

I found this site the last time I looked up fragileX.

http://www.fragilex.org/html/characteristics.htm

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#7 of 7 Old 03-29-2011, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenmum View Post

My DD was tested for this, we see the genetics on the 11th for the results. I dont have much to help you with...sorry.

Good luck, let me know what they say. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfru View Post

My 5.5 yr old has autism, syndactaly, congenital curly toe syndrome, a heart problem, and several other issues...and does NOT have fragile X.  I know it's not much...but many kids have similar combos, but don't have fragile X (at the least, not dx'able by todays testing/standards).

GL!  It's all so confusing sometimes!

mrsfru

Thanks this makes me feel a bit better. It is confusing but *sigh* we'll see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmeline II View Post

I found this site the last time I looked up fragileX.

http://www.fragilex.org/html/characteristics.htm

Thanks!

Tags
Special Needs Parenting , Autism The Facts The Facts Series , Autism The Essential Guide To Understanding Autism Aaa

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page