feeding tube leakage - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-02-2011, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I thought I'd ask on here, because some of you have children with feeding tubes.

I have a GJ tube that I use for my medicines, extra water and supplemental formula due to having gastroparesis.  Well, lately i have noticed that its leaking a lot more and the leakage is causing bad rashes on the skin underneath the disk of the feeding tube.  The rash is red, raw and stings quite a bit.  I have been cleaning the site with warm water and changing the dressing frequently.  I have also been putting Calmoseptine ointment on there to protect my skin, as well as Emla cream to make the site stop stinging as much.

Does anyone else know what I can do to get the site to stop leaking as much and how to get the rash to clear up?

Jessie

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 04-02-2011, 12:46 PM

Is the balloon fully inflated? We were told to use 6 mls but we use 8 mls. and it helped a lot. Some people use split gauze to absorb the liquid but I have also heard that can irritate the skin even more, especially if you don't change it often enough. My son's leaks some all the time but I know how bad it can be when it is over the top. We use triamincolone (sp?) for when the granulation is bad, it is a strong topical steroid but it works very well. 

I am sorry you are suffering with this. Hope it gets better soon!

#3 of 8 Old 04-02-2011, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply back.  I have been using the split gauze to cover the site (this is what my medical supplier send me each month) and have been changing it frequently.  I do have some of that steroid cream that you mentioned.  I will see if this helps heal the site.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to check and see if the balloon is inflated to a certain amount, since this is not a feeding tube you can change on your own.  An Interventional Radiologist changes it every 3-4 months.  I have noticed lately, though, that the tube seems looser and has been moving around a lot more than usual.  I will have to call the IR on Monday and see if I can get in, so they can tell me what's going on.

Jessie

#4 of 8 Old 04-03-2011, 12:23 PM

Oh right, I forgot about the G/J tube difference. I would definitely ask about that first. Once in a while, we get a dud g tube and it falls apart way too early. I hope that is it and a simple change of the tube would make it better! If you are using the gauze, have you also tried letting it air out without the gauze? I think that can help too.

I really hope you are getting better soon, it is so tough and while I am not the one with the tube, I know how sensitive they can become as the care taker of my son who does have one. It is no fun and even harder when you don't know what to do! Hang in there and let me know what you figure out!hug2.gif

#5 of 8 Old 04-03-2011, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I agree with the pp, your balloon is probably too loose, your GI nurse could probably check it for you (it does not require removing it or reinserting it.)  As for the rash, you could have a yeast rash cause by the moisture on the skin.  The usual treatment for that would be nystatin ointment or powder.  It also could be skin breakdown because the high acidity of the stomach contents. I would definitely get the GI to look at it when they check the button, since treatment would vary based on cause,  There is a mom on etsy  http://www.etsy.com/people/SuzannesSpecialKids?ref=ls_profile  who makes homemade washable pads that we have found much more absorbent that the gauze the give us.

Until you can get in, try stacking a few  gauze together under the button, it will put a little pressure on the inside of the button and hopefully slow down the leaking.

Wife to M , Mommy to DS aka Captain Obvious  (06/06) and DD aka Lissalot  (03/09, anoxic brain injury)
#6 of 8 Old 04-13-2011, 11:11 PM

Sorry to hear about the leaking! I agree with the pp about the soft little covers you can buy. There are several ppl making them out there, button buddies, gus gear, the gal at etsy. They are all pretty much the same thing, but they've helped a lot of kids with tubes, so why not you! Best to go get it checked out though, we've gotten a bum tube before, so that could be the problem. I hope it all clears up for you real soon!

#7 of 8 Old 04-13-2011, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakesmom View Post

Sorry to hear about the leaking! I agree with the pp about the soft little covers you can buy. There are several ppl making them out there, button buddies, gus gear, the gal at etsy. They are all pretty much the same thing, but they've helped a lot of kids with tubes, so why not you! Best to go get it checked out though, we've gotten a bum tube before, so that could be the problem. I hope it all clears up for you real soon!

I plan on seeing the doctor next Monday, because my skin has started to look bad and itch, so I think it is a yeast rash.  Its making it to where I have also got more granulation sores, which has not been comfrotable when I have been doing abdominal exercises (the tube rubs against the sores as I am doing crunches or working at the gym on the ab machines).

I am gonna look into those cloth covers everyone is talking about.  Currently, I just use the large gauze pads at night and the smaller ones during the daytime.

Jessie

#8 of 8 Old 04-20-2011, 10:46 PM

I'd try the cloth pads for sure, but it does sound like the balloon isn't full enough. You can check the amount at home, if you do want to. I do it with my daughters GJ all the time. You just hold it steady, pull out the water from the port, and have another syringe already with water to replace it. Super easy.

Mom to Dakota (6), Coy, (4), Max, (4), Lily (4), and Auri (June 19th 2010)!
Visit Lily's site at www.caringbridge.org/visit/lilymathis1

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page