Medical Alert Tags - What company do you buy from? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-13-2011, 07:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We've been purchasing my daughter's MA bracelets from the same company for years.  The engraving wears to the point of illegibility quicker than I would like so we re-order frequently.  I assumed they are all alike but am now wondering if there is a better tag I should be ordering.  I am placing another order and thought I would look into other companies.  (We usually order two or three tags at a time and the three, with rotated use, last about a year.)

Also, do you normally put your child's physician's contact info on the tag?  We are in the process of switching neurologists and I am wondering if I should wait to order and add this information.  (I never have included it in the past.)

TIA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2011, 08:00 AM

What is the metal in the tag?  I would switch to silver, gold or stainless steel. SS would not be to expensive and you could take it to a trophy engraving shop; ask them to cut it deep because you do not want it to wear down.  Find one that does it with computer and something like a c and c machine.  I have not got one for ds, yet, but am considering one for this summer when we will be at the pool a lot.  I will probably get him silver because I can get it when I am ordering from my suppliers, but it will be the softest metal out of the three and most easily scratch.   

Old 04-13-2011, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

Hers are all stainless steel. I guess they are not engraving them deep enough.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:00 AM

I use the actual medicalert.org company for the tag and www.laurenshope.com for the bracelet.  They have really cute styles for kids.  If your daughter doesn't have a lot (which I do) of information for the tag, Lauren's Hope also will do the tags.  

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
Old 04-13-2011, 09:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

We got our son this one:

http://www.stickyj.com/zy2065.html

the bracelet is made of hemp

Old 04-13-2011, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

SpottedFoxx, Thanks for the company info.  I really like the children's designs on the Laurenshope site.

We've been buying from americanmedical-id.com and in their defense...they did replace one set for free when I called about the wearing out of the engraving.  (I only called them once.)  Also, with the Costco discount they are very inexpensive.  I believe it was ~$50 for four tags.  So maybe I just shouldn't be ordering their lowest quality tag and spend a little more for a better tag!  And my daughter might just be rough on them. 

Until recently, we purchased beaded bracelets from a local young girl who makes them with her mother.  This past year my daughter and I made some ourselves.  There are clips on each side so they are interchangeable on the tags.

edited to remove photo

Old 04-13-2011, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Logan'sMom, I really like the hemp bracelet - I do not care for 'girly jewelry' but my daughter does.   The tag looks a little small and because it is mounted you cannot engrave on both sides which is a bit of a drawback limiting the info that can be included.  I see this site has a lot of options too.  When we looked years ago, I couldn't find beaded interchangeable bracelets for MA tags! 

Old 04-13-2011, 09:38 AM

Those are too darn cute!

I've only used the disposable ones for ds when we're at Disney World or somewhere crowded like that (but he has autism, not anything medical related).

Steph, DH Jason (1-1-11), DS Owen (10-3-03) and DS Kai (10-13-11)

Old 04-13-2011, 10:23 AM

How cute!!!  I have a "mood" bracelet which turns out, can tell me when I'm having a flair (my body temp rises so the color change).  I just broke the clasp and am hoping my best friend can fix it for me.  I feel very exposed not having it.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
Old 04-13-2011, 12:36 PM

I went to the website listed and many of the comments mentioned difficult to read engraving.  I would definitely have someone else do that part and then you can still get tags from them.  

Just curious, what kind of information should be included on the tag?  Medication, name?

Old 04-14-2011, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa17s View Post

Just curious, what kind of information should be included on the tag?  Medication, name?

Ugh!  I typed a response and lost it so here is it again…

I am curious to hear what others put on their tags.  This is what I do for my daughter:

I put my daughter’s first name and initial of last name.  (For some reason I was afraid a stranger could read her bracelet and be able to know too much about her with a last name – a little paranoid on my part.  Now that she is a little older,  maybe I should put her full name.)

I also include my home and cell number.  (This will not help if I cannot speak after an accident.  I’ve never included the neuro’s contact info but I do keep a card in my wallet and in my daughter’s car seat with the neuro’s contact info and her list of meds.)  My daughter was always a wanderer and a hider when young, I thought my phone numbers would also help if she separated from me.

I also list her condition – epilepsy.

In the past I listed the anti-seizure drug she was on but not the dosage since it changed often.  More recently I would just say ‘on medication’ since we were considering changing her meds the last time I ordered tags.

My daughter has been off all anti-seizure meds since October 2010 but I still think she should wear a bracelet since seizures are still possible.  I was thinking of saying something about her being on no meds.  If an EMT is called they might assume she is on meds after seeing the epilepsy MA tag and it might be helpful to know she is not.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:45 AM

dbsam - you may want to get her a "real" medicalert bracelet if there is a lot of information necessary.  You get a couple of lines and then she will be assigned a number.  First responders and/or police can call that number and get a full medical history, list of physicians, medicines, allergies, contact information - even health insurance information!

Mine reads...

Anaphalaxis risk

Carries Epi

Warning - anasthesia

Systemic Mastocytosis

134xxxxxxx (my medicalert number)

If Gd forbid something happens and I can't communicate - the first responders will have more information than they know what to do with :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsam View Post

Ugh!  I typed a response and lost it so here is it again…

I am curious to hear what others put on their tags.  This is what I do for my daughter:

I put my daughter’s first name and initial of last name.  (For some reason I was afraid a stranger could read her bracelet and be able to know too much about her with a last name – a little paranoid on my part.  Now that she is a little older,  maybe I should put her full name.)

I also include my home and cell number.  (This will not help if I cannot speak after an accident.  I’ve never included the neuro’s contact info but I do keep a card in my wallet and in my daughter’s car seat with the neuro’s contact info and her list of meds.)  My daughter was always a wanderer and a hider when young, I thought my phone numbers would also help if she separated from me.

I also list her condition – epilepsy.

In the past I listed the anti-seizure drug she was on but not the dosage since it changed often.  More recently I would just say ‘on medication’ since we were considering changing her meds the last time I ordered tags.

My daughter has been off all anti-seizure meds since October 2010 but I still think she should wear a bracelet since seizures are still possible.  I was thinking of saying something about her being on no meds.  If an EMT is called they might assume she is on meds after seeing the epilepsy MA tag and it might be helpful to know she is not.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:46 AM

Make that "real medicalert tag" - you don't have to use or buy their bracelets.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:29 PM

I asked this same question recently of our local group of kids with food allergies. We also used the american medical ID, and the laser engraving wears off very quickly. They did replace one set for free but I think it's reasonable that it should last a year or more. DS had a stainless/link bracelet and one with a stainless tag on a webbed plastic clasp bracelet.

The consensus was to spend the money on the MedicAlert brand bracelets. I'll be doing so in the next week or so to get a new tag in time for summer. He's anaphylactic to peanuts and also high functioning autistic. We have his full name, DOB, allergy, our home phone and "use epi-pen" on the bracelet.

ETA: We want contact info on the bracelet in case DS wanders off. He's done so before.

Me: 38 DH: 47
DS#1: 9/01 DS#2: 8/04 : DS#3: 7/06 DD#1: 8/09
Old 04-15-2011, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpottedFoxx View Post

dbsam - you may want to get her a "real" medicalert bracelet if there is a lot of information necessary.  You get a couple of lines and then she will be assigned a number.  First responders and/or police can call that number and get a full medical history, list of physicians, medicines, allergies, contact information - even health insurance information!

Thanks.  I didn't even know those existed!

The neurologist was glad to see any bracelet on her wrist but didn't mention that type of bracelet.  She said so many parents do not get/want MA bracelets for their children.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:37 PM

Thanks for the information.  I probably need to put more thought into this than I have...

Old 04-17-2011, 10:21 PM

We got this one for my dd.  It has a medic alert symbol on it and places for food allergies.  While it is waterproof and virtually indestructable, it is not engravable.  Link:  allerbling

My Blog:  Finding Our New Normal

User Tag List