Best toys and activities for young child with dyspraxia/developmental coordination disorder - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-03-2011, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

DS is 25 months and just qualified for physical therapy and occupational therapy.  There was no official label put on his movement problems, but from what the therapist said and my own observations, I think his issues are related to dyspraxia with a little bit of SPD.  What are the best types of toys and activites for improving balance, fine and gross motor skills, and motor planning.  I was thinking of beads to string and a toddler trampoline with a bar to hold on to while he learns to jump - he can't jump at all yet.  Anyone have experience with this?

Life is strange and wonderful.  Me read.gif, DP lady.gif, DS (3/09) blahblah.gif , 3 dog2.gif  and 4 cat.gif

#2 of 4 Old 05-03-2011, 09:11 AM

Quoted: 67 Post(s)

Are there any kiddie gym classes where you live for kids so young?

Once my DD turned 3 we had TONS of options. Gymnastics, creative movement, etc. Check your city's parks and rec programs. They might have some motor skills stuff for 2 year olds.

Some well run story times include finger plays and action songs, which are great for working on those motor skills. If not, just get resources from your library for including those things at home. They most likely have books, CD, DVDs etc.

Ultimately, swimming was the best thing for my DD. It was great for her motor skills and sensory issues, and something about getting really comfortable in the water helped her become more comfortable on land.

Is it warm enough where you live to hit the park? Just learning to play on play ground equipment was big for my DD.

For fine motor skills, finger painting, playdough, playing in a pan of dry cornmeal, etc.

I got a lot of ideas from The Out of Sync Child.

but everything has pros and cons  shrug.gif

#3 of 4 Old 05-11-2011, 06:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My DD was also in PT (and is now in OT as well) at a young age for coordination issues, and we mostly worked in our yard, having her climb stairs and lots of hopscotch, climbing, and everyday skills : pumping on the swing, running, hopping, skipping, etc...

We have Honeybee hop at home and it is a HUGE hit :)  BTW, DD did not learn to jump until she was 3 ;)

a trampoline is a great idea, disks or rings that can be placed on the floor for hopscotch or island hopping were helpful here. 

For fine motor.....not sure at 25 months, My DD just started OT at 4, and works mostly with drawing, writing, cutting, etc...

She loves little sorting animals and chopsticks at school ....like these.

We also utilize the free gym time at the local gymnastics studio, its a ton of fun, and really helps build her confidence!

Good luck :)

Hayley SAHM to Ryan (02) & Annabel (06) and Jameson (10)
#4 of 4 Old 05-12-2011, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Our son had mild delays in this area. Things that worked well for him:

Scooter (we got him a 2 wheeled one at age 5-6; with a younger child I'd go with a 3 wheeled one to start)

A ride-on toy of some sort. My son's favorite toy was this little fisher price ride on; he also loved our neighbors little car. At 25 months, there's no way he could have pedaled, so being able to push with both feet firmly on the ground was crucial to his success.

Swinging -- swinging on a regular (not baby) swing really helped his core motor strength

A sit-n-spin was really appreciated.

Koosh balls

Bathtub squirter toys (really good for finger strength)

If I knew then what I know now about ds' motor problems, I would have added:

trampoline (like the one you're thinking of)

A balance board like this one

Lynnteapot2.GIF, academicreading.gif,geek.gif wife, WOHM  to T jog.gif(4/01) and M whistling.gif (5/04)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page