Ds1 evaluation coming in August - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-05-2011, 05:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

... so maybe this is a little early. lol.gif  

Anyway I got to thinking this morning, that it is an evaluation for ADHD, Aspergers, Sensory Processing (I hope). This evaluation is with a Psychologist recomended by our local Center for Autism, so I don't know how much into the sensory stuff we can get.

I would also like to ask for an IQ test, because I am SURE what I'm dealing with is a Twice-Exceptional kiddo. As he will only be turning 5 in June, I realise its a little early to be doing an I.Q. test, but if he IS T.E. I need it to be part of his IEP.

Curently his IEP with the I.U. 13 is ignoring his sensory issues because of his intelligence and called them discipline issues. He is very fearful in certain environments, but they are calling his lack of compliance 'unwillingness'.   greensad.gif  HE wants very much to please them and would comply, if he were not fearful. Just because a child can say, 'No, I do not want to do that' doesn't mean that's the whole reason, kwim? (He uses very formal speech)

He is a 'quick study' and even I can see that after just a year, he is growing out of what the I.U. early intervention can offer. :sigh  I have been planning to Homeschool all along, and so we have one more year of Early Intervention.

Can anyone give me BTDT, or suggestions as to how to incorporate everything into whatever treatment plan we come up with? If he gets bored AT All, he will stop working.

We also have him on the waiting list at the center for autism for a more comprehensive Eval, but there is not telling just when that will be.

TIA! innocent.gif

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#2 of 7 Old 05-05-2011, 01:05 PM - Thread Starter

Bump.

good. bad, ugly, I'll take it. I have no idea what to expect.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#3 of 7 Old 05-05-2011, 05:53 PM

We went here and they did address sensory issues and SID was part of his diagnosis. They also did an ability/aptitude IQ test (ds was 6y11mo at the time and they test down to the month, maybe even the week). I would also ask that they compile something to give the school which includes explaining the issues the school sees as "unwillingness."

The results (as transcribed from the Dr.’s teeny tiny handwriting)

1.      Average to high average ability (performance IQ – TONI 3 =117 > verbal SIT-R 94).

2.      Achievement commiserate with ability (WIAT II – word reading =140, reading comprehension =121, spelling =130, numerical operations =102).

One score somewhere was abnormally low; I think it was part of the verbal SIT-R, a section with “strange stories” where you identify what someone is feeling knowing that the feeling is not what they said (like a person who hates apple pies saying “thank you, it’s just what I wanted” when given an apple pie—why would they say that? because they didn’t want to hurt the giver’s feelings).

3.      Mild to moderate pragmatic language disorder.

4.      Social developmental delay; in part due to ADHD.

5.      ADHD combined.

6.      Disruptive behavior.

7.      Anxiety (performance and social anxiety)

8.      Chronic motor/vocal tics

9.      Possible CAPD.

10.  Hyperacusis/sensory concerns.

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#4 of 7 Old 05-05-2011, 06:17 PM - Thread Starter

THANK YOU!!  That is exactly what I needed!  biggrinbounce.gif

IRT the I.U.- I.U. 13 is the County's Intermediate Unit, and it is directed toward school readiness.  WHat you gave me gives me a good visual on what to expect.

thumbsup.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#5 of 7 Old 05-08-2011, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Bumping one last time.

any experiences welcome, I have no idea what to expect for how they will evaluate a child who has never done preschool, kindy, etc, and is largely non-compliant.

TIA.

Niemals Gewalt
#6 of 7 Old 05-08-2011, 02:30 PM

I would think that a large component of the assessment will be parent questionnaires and/or interview. I would definitely ask fo IQ testing if you suspect he is 2e (although if he is not compliant the results may not be valid). I think the most commonly used IQ test for that age range is the WPPSI. I would think they will also do some play-based assessment (either the Psychologist playing with him or watching you play with him). Why don't you call and ask what to expect? Once you have some information re: the assessment tools or approach being used, others can likely give you more specific information about what to expect.

#7 of 7 Old 05-08-2011, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you.  I CAN call and ask, and I never thought to do that for some reason.

Play based assessment would probably work very well for him.  *thinking*   I will make sure I ask for an I.Q. test.

Niemals Gewalt

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page