For those that supplement with magnesium – Did you have your child tested or did you rely on symptoms? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-06-2011, 02:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I’ve read a few posts written by parents who are giving their children magnesium supplements.  I am wondering if my children and I might have low magnesium levels, based upon symptoms.  I’ve read online that blood tests are not the best way to test for a magnesium deficiency.  Did you test or supplement based upon symptoms?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 05-08-2011, 01:07 PM

I supplemented based entirely on symptoms. Ds1's behavior changed entirely within about 24 hours.

Based on the amazing effect magnesium had on DS1, DH started supplementing with it too.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#3 of 6 Old 05-08-2011, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidirk View Post

I supplemented based entirely on symptoms. Ds1's behavior changed entirely within about 24 hours.

Based on the amazing effect magnesium had on DS1, DH started supplementing with it too.

Thanks, what type of supplement do you give your son?  There are so many to choose from; it is a little overwhelming.

We see a natural type doctor (well, he's not an MD) and he can do the testing and sells Perque supplements.  However, my children will rarely take the supplements I purchase from him.  Dynamic Health's Calcium Magnesium Complex w/ Vit. D3, Orange Creamsicle is on sale through UNFI this month and I was thinking of trying it.

#4 of 6 Old 05-08-2011, 01:32 PM

We use Natural Vitality's Magnesium calm.

You give a fraction of the adult dose to a child. basically you start with a miniscule amount and work up till 'bowels are comfortably soft' it says. It isn't a laxative, it will function as one if too much is given, becasue teh body excretes excess through the bowels. You will know if you've given too much waaayyy before it would reach any kind of probelm such as overdose.

We give a half teaspoon to tiny people, and DH takes two teaspoons at a time.

I would avoid any kind of calcium supplement if you suspect magnesium deficiency.

computergeek2.gif  wife to bikenew.gif and momma to my intact boys headscratch.gif 06/19/06 and mischievous.gif 10/10/08 We delayed/selective vax; constantly wash.gif  always intactlact.gif

Niemals Gewalt
#5 of 6 Old 05-08-2011, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Heidrik,

Thanks.  I need to do a little more research before giving it to the children.  I have read that it will cause bowel issues if too much is given.

#6 of 6 Old 05-08-2011, 01:57 PM

We use Natural Calm powder as well.  We order online from Amazon.  Ours is the Raspberry Lemon flavor.

We did no formal tests but I concluded that deficiencies are common, we have some symptoms, and we have a child on the spectrum and ASD children are often helped by magnesium.  Also I see modest supplementation as very safe.

The Natural Calm is prepared as a fizzy drink.  My kids think it's a treat (not one they would help themselves to or overdo though!)  A half teaspoon never caused any bowel issues.  I would recommend an adult start with that amount.  But you could easily give half that or less for your LOs, so I would not hesitate to try it because you can be as cautious as you wish.

ME&treehugger.gifHE... loving our: wild.gifdd(18) ~~violin.gifds(13) read.gifdd(13)~~ peace.gifdd(10)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page