Can a neuropsychologist (pediatric) diagnose Apraxia of Speech? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-21-2011, 02:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are really having a hard time finding someone who can diagnose Apraxia of Speech.  We are going to see a neuropsychologist very soon for an autism spectrum disorder assessment (initial appt).  They can also dianose other developmental delays so I was wondering if they could also diagnose Apraxia?  Does anyone know the answer to this?

#2 of 4 Old 05-21-2011, 07:43 PM

I do not know about that.  But our son was initially diagnosed as Apraxia (not sure if it was EI or through Speech-Language Eval from insurance)...

I would highly recommend checking out some parenting forums on speech apraxia, as they might be able to give you a better answer.

#3 of 4 Old 05-21-2011, 07:55 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
My son has an apraxia diagnosis and we received it from a Phd level speech language pathologist. That is also where we received recommendations for specific next steps for treatment. If you are looking for someone in your area, check the CASANA website or ask on the listserv. It is a great resource. Good luck with the nueropsych. We also did that and found it painted a great learning picture of my son and his strengths and weaknesses.
#4 of 4 Old 05-22-2011, 06:58 AM

My son has dyspraxia affecting his oral motor, fine motor, and gross motor skills. He also has ASD with hyperlexia. His diagnoses were made a team at children's hospital which included a developmental pediatrician, a speech language pathologist, an OT, a psychologist, an audiologist, and a neurologist.

Lolly
Mom to an amazing little guy, age 9 (Autism, Hyperlexia, Dyspraxia, Albinism, Chromosome Microdeletion)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page