Creating a sensory room - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-27-2011, 08:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I would like to create a sensory room for our almost 5 year old.  We dont have a lot of money I am not sure where to start any ideas or advice would be appreciated thanks

#2 of 6 Old 05-27-2011, 09:28 PM

I am starting by building a sling swing for my DD's room.  It's pretty cheap and easy to do.  I'm also going to make her a weighted blanket and get her some cheap exercise balls from Big 5.  There are a lot of things that you can get from normal stores for great prices that are the exact same things but just not labeled therapy items.  Also look for discount therapy sites online or check Amazon and Ebay.  The biggest thing is just have fun with it.  It may take you a while but it shouldn't be too hard and I'm sure your child will enjoy it when it is done.

#3 of 6 Old 05-27-2011, 09:29 PM

We just got a fatboy bean bag and it's awesome. He's using it as a crash pad, a chair and even a bed! It just came today, it's awesome. He's been asleep on it without waking for several hours, that is big for my son. We got the Sims 3 edition because it is way cheaper (we paid 59, it's now 79) than the one's without the ugly logo (those are $239) 

here's the link http://www.amazon.com/Fatboy-Sims-Bean-Bag-Chair/dp/B003981FFO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1306556518&sr=8-3

We had a smaller bean bag chair, and he liked it, but his reaction was nothing like it is to this one. 

We also just ordered a mini trampoline and a rainy days doorway swing : http://www.amazon.com/Support-Swing-Rainy-Indoor-Playground/dp/B000ITI7PI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306556695&sr=1-2-catcorr you can buy their swings, but we previously used the same model (borrowed it from an old OT) with lycra tied with a slip knot on each end and he really liked it that way, so that's what we will do when it comes. 

He loves to go into dark spaces with his Twilight Turtle http://www.amazon.com/Cloud-Twilight-Constellation-Night-Turtle/dp/B001CW7CVK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1306556822&sr=1-2-catcorr

We're still trying to get this all together ourselves and it's going to depend so much on your kid's individual needs, I thought I would share. 

Stephenie, Wife to Nick partners.gif 9/3/05 Mama to Keagan treehugger.gif autismribbon.gif 4/12/07, Eden dust.gifhomebirth.jpg3/29/09  3rdtri.gif Someone new coming in July and two angels 6/06 and 10/10. Check out my blog! blogging.jpg

#4 of 6 Old 05-29-2011, 09:03 AM

We created a sensory room for my sensory-seeking kids this past Christmas.

We have a cocoon swing and a platform swing from here: http://www.affordabletherapysolutions.com/

We got a hanging swing (which we're going to replace with something else since they don't use it), hand rings, a balancing rocker, and a rope ladder from Ikea.

We have a big, heavy yoga ball, small sensory (spiky) balls, squeeze balls that are used for hand strengthening, knock-off body sox (cheap at Oriental Trading Co. - they call them "shape changers"), a small trampoline, chewy tubes, fidgets, beanbags (Oriental Trading Co.), and a couple of beanbag chairs.

There's a full-size mattress, a crib mattress, a gymnastics mat, pillows, and some foam mats on the floor.

We're thinking about adding some rock wall stuff to the wall, and maybe getting a hammock swing or a punching bag, as well as some chin-up bars or something.

Oriental Trading Company has a lot of inexpensive things that can be used for a sensory room. Ikea is also inexpensive. And Affordable Therapy Solutions has good products for less money than I've seen elsewhere, plus their customer service is awesome! I was able to find other things for little money at toy stores in my area.

Hope that helps!

You can find me on Facebook. PM for info.
#5 of 6 Old 06-07-2011, 03:58 PM

I wanted to say thanks as this thread has been helpful for me, too. I have two sensory-seeking foster sons. I just have one question: Can I come over to your houses and play? These sensory rooms sound so fun!

Raising and educating free-range kids in our farmhouse at the maple woods. In March, find us in the sugarbush making pure maple syrup.

1 me + 1 hubby + 4 kids + 5 goats + 3 pigs + 3 dozen chickens + 6 ducks = 1 crazy place
#6 of 6 Old 06-13-2011, 10:23 PM

Here's a post about creating a sensory room on the cheap.

Creating Rooms for Children with a Sensory Integration Disorder

Its one of mine, so I'm sorry about the small self promotion, but its what I learned from being the mother of two beautiful children with sensory issues.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page